IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New All I see is that it's "low voltage"
It looks like it's probably either 12V or 24V. It won't kill you. (I got shocked by 120V AC as a kid - not pleasant, but not deadly.)

https://www.ylighting.com/blog/choose-cable-lighting/

But it would be good to check when you get a chance.

75 W bulbs seem to be common on such systems, so a heat lamp might be problematic (they're often 250W, 120V bulbs).

If you're just hanging other normal light fixtures from one of the cables via insulated clamps, you should be Ok. But it's always best to unplug such things if it's not being used as intended.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New "I got shocked by 120V AC as a kid"
Just once? You must have lived a sheltered life - not played with electricity?

Worst shock I've had was over 450v but it was DC (from equipment that was turned off and unplugged).
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Nov. 4, 2021, 10:38:33 PM EDT
New I got 330 once at work
All day every time I touched the door on the lower fridge it felt like it was vibrating. Is already told the boss I thought the compressor was going.

Halfway through my shift I had my hand on the steel table next to the fridge when I opened it. It knocked me back pretty hard and I couldn't feel my hands for a minute.

Turns out the cord for the grill, which was on the steel table, had a short right at the outlet. Same outlet the fridge was in.
--

Drew
New I've had the usual kisses and love taps from electrical gear at home.
Never at work, though.

3-phase with a 400A main fuse tends to make you ded if you fuck around and find out.
New Yeah, I got lucky
Both hands were open when I completed the circuit. If I'd been holding anything I'd have probably clenched on it pretty hard.
--

Drew
New Shocking by AC is bad.
I've heard AC voltages keep you from snapping your hand away while DC voltages trigger you to snap your hand away.

I once got zapped by a black and white CRT I was trying to replace. That CRT ran at 17K volts when on. The TV was unplugged, but the CRT was not fully discharged. I was holding a screw driver and instinctively tossed it across the room when I got zapped. It's not a mistake you make more than once! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New That's back to front, and why we switched from DC to AC.
New "What's this little hole inside Daddy's workshop refrigerator?"
Aha, that's where the lightbulb is supposed to be.

Did a little dance until I got my finger out of it.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Merely using the rails for clamps
Totally separate wiring for the heat emitters. The conduit to hide the wires will show up tomorrow.
New Holy s***, you people are dangerous
Many years ago I was stupid enough to wire my own house. Not that I was running any wires, just I was replacing controls to allow for dimmable lights. And I was a moron. None of the directions match the colors of my wires so I just winged it. It seemed to work but I was not sure.

This time around I will bring an electrician in. I won't do it stupidly.

Right now I can see where I want additional lights and additional heat lamps. I want a heat lamp over the shower downstairs because no matter how beautiful it is with those tiles it's on an outside wall and it f****** freezes.

I have the heat lamps over my bed in the bedroom. They fit with the rails on the lights already there but they are ugly. I have to figure out how to put a fixture in.
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 6, 2021, 07:11:15 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 6, 2021, 07:22:23 PM EDT
     Track lights that are not track lights, what are they? - (crazy) - (12)
         Cable lighting? - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Yep, looks like that - (crazy) - (10)
                 All I see is that it's "low voltage" - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     "I got shocked by 120V AC as a kid" - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         I got 330 once at work - (drook)
                         I've had the usual kisses and love taps from electrical gear at home. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Yeah, I got lucky - (drook)
                         Shocking by AC is bad. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             That's back to front, and why we switched from DC to AC. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         "What's this little hole inside Daddy's workshop refrigerator?" - (CRConrad)
                     Merely using the rails for clamps - (crazy) - (1)
                         Holy s***, you people are dangerous - (crazy)

Worst case, tell your boss it's a new kind of ultra-XML -- not quite invisible, but only very sophisticated and intelligent people can see it...
286 ms