IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New If you have the space...
Consider a 4k TV, assuming your graphics card can handle 4k.

I got one of these last November for $350. I previously had a setup with a stand with 4 ea (2x2) 24" 1080P monitors (for 2 PCs and a Mac). This is a decent replacement and much easier on my neck.

Beware, though, that there are compromises because they don't have default settings for "PC" mode for this particular model (which is no longer available). You might have to do a lot of fiddling to have good contrast with text, etc., if you're thinking about something similar. I don't have any problem using it for 6+ hours a day.

If you plan on doing accurate photo editing, you may need to spend much more to get something calibrated.

We have a zillion Dell monitors at work. They seem fine and that's probably a safe choice (but look at the reviews).

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New monitor was in the corner
where I have my table set up. PC right next to it. Maybe enough room for something 27" wide, probably no more. I don't do any photo editing. I never bought a video card so I'm using the built-in video on the motherboard (I'm not a gamer so I'm fine with that).

Looked at Best Buy's web site - nearly every low priced monitor is unavailable. Newegg wasn't much better. They do have some refurbished square LCD monitors but I'm leery about 2nd hand equipment.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New A portrait-capable monitor might be another option.
Years ago I had a refurbished Hitachi 1600x1200 tube that was great, but only lasted a year or so. I hated it when LCD monitors went to 16x9 - it's horrible for spreadsheets, etc.

There are still a few monitors that can rotate to Portrait mode. That might be a decent compromise if you need the vertical space.

https://webtrainingguides.com/best-vertical-monitor/

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: A portrait-capable monitor might be another option.

Years ago I had a refurbished Hitachi 1600x1200 tube that was great, but only lasted a year or so.

And that's why I'll skip refurbished monitors - ditto for refurbished hard drives. Other components are more durable, but for those 2 I'll buy new for peace of mind.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New ETA...
Just for completeness, on this 50" LG 4K TV, when connected to a Win10 machine, if you start with the input in "Game" mode and decrease the Brightness from 50 to 10 you end up with something that works very well for text and isn't blinding. Lots of good contrast. (Other tweaks might be needed, but it's a good starting point.)

Cheers,
Scott.
     My Samsung LCD monitor died this morning - (lincoln) - (7)
         If you have the space... - (Another Scott) - (4)
             monitor was in the corner - (lincoln) - (2)
                 A portrait-capable monitor might be another option. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Re: A portrait-capable monitor might be another option. - (lincoln)
             ETA... - (Another Scott)
         5:4 ratio monitors are still quite available . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Happy with my Dell U2419H and U2419HC so far - (malraux)