IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I had a couple people over for dinner last night
I had the sous vide chicken and steak prepped, along with the lovely reduced sauce sides filled with onions and shallots and garlic and mushrooms.

The steak was $7 a pound chuck steak that I had let sit in the sous vide for about 60 hours. It was then frozen and then reheated for about 6 hours sitting in the bath just under cooking temperature but higher than danger temperature. The chicken had been previously sous vide for about 4 hours and frozen and reheated in the same bath. Hot enough to keep basting in the butter and keep it safe but cool enough not to actually cook it.

When they showed up I was able to finish the chicken and steak in under 3 minutes and hand it to them and it was better than anything they ever had in a restaurant.

It would have been the exact same effort to feed 20 people.

And my cooking effort while they were there was almost nothing so I was able to talk.

They said they are picking up one of these machines. It was just too good.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 15, 2021, 08:53:28 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 15, 2021, 08:55:05 AM EDT
New That's some high-risk chicken, isn't it?
I'd be leery about cooking anything that low for that long.

Did you get it to 74°C/165°F?
New Time is important too
74°C/165°F is the "nuke from orbit" temperature. But 70 minutes at 136°F (58°C) will accomplish the same thing (as far as Salmonella is concerned.)

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast
New Not at all
I had it at 165 for 4 hours. Killed everything and perfectly softened it. Then I froze it to minus 40 for a couple of days.
New Just a note about the neighbors...
...that region is rather high in the number of antivaxxers who live around there. Just FYI.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New For some reason covid vaccine deniers are often not generic anti-vaxxers
This one's a pure political play for some of them. I haven't met any neighbors who haven't been vaccinated, at least when it comes up and almost all my neighbors wear masks just walk into their dogs.

This couple I met via them picking something off craigslist from me and I found them interesting so I invited them for dinner.

Smartest stupid people I ever met.
New Is that better or worse than stupidest smart people?
New Better
--

Drew
     Sous Vide? - (crazy) - (17)
         It's better after freezing - (crazy) - (15)
             Mr Monk, we need to talk about this peroxide habit of yours. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                 Understood - (crazy) - (5)
                     Let me add to that - (crazy) - (4)
                         No big loss: If she can't... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             I have wooden chopping boards for vegetables, and plastic ones for meat - (pwhysall)
                         bleach can get into the cracks on a wood cutting board for cleaning - (boxley) - (1)
                             On ballance, wood does as well as plastic . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             I had a couple people over for dinner last night - (crazy) - (7)
                 That's some high-risk chicken, isn't it? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Time is important too - (scoenye)
                     Not at all - (crazy)
                 Just a note about the neighbors... - (InThane) - (3)
                     For some reason covid vaccine deniers are often not generic anti-vaxxers - (crazy) - (2)
                         Is that better or worse than stupidest smart people? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Better -NT - (drook)
         Twitter thread for you - (drook)

Like going to ELIZA for therapy...
87 ms