IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Must suck to live in a dry area
Which is pretty much the entire country except for right here. I found my sliver.

Welcome to the great Pacific
Northwest. Right on the edge by the ocean. It's wet here. Seriously. I love the wet for the ability to breathe.

I moved from Colorado where this fire would be insane. But here, the embers fall off the fire pit into the wet yard. And go out.
New You're in basically the same climate as me
And yeah, it rains a lot.

We're just now heading into The Long Dark. I'm at an even higher latitude than you (I think of all the IWTers, only CRC and Jack have a chance of being further north) by about 6°, and so I'm eagerly looking forward to about six hours of daylight, just around Xmas.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Oct. 8, 2021, 01:53:19 AM EDT
New Cheer up, you've got over an hour more than that.
Six hours of daylight down your way sounded a little pessimistic -- that's about what we get here.

Mattrafack, seems this year you'll be just under 7:16 from December 20th to the 22nd: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2647785?month=12&year=2021

Here in Helsinki, OTOH, we get under 5:50 from the 18th to the 24th: https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/finland/helsinki?month=12&year=2021
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: Cheer up, you've got over an hour more than that.
Yeah, but the first hour and last hour are daylight in name only.
New Hour? The first and last frigging MONTHS of the year are totally fracking useless.
These latitudes are really only inhabitable from about April to September, IMO. :-(
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Don't know about Finland, but in Iceland couples have more children.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New You'd think that goes for all the Nordic countries, but nativity here is still really low.
For the native populations, that is -- at least Sweden seems to think they've found the solution to this in allowing what is in practice unlimited immigration from MENA countries, which immigrants don't seem to drop their nativity rates for at least the first couple generations or so, but... I better not go further here, lest I be construed as being not only in the wrong forum (this not being Politics), but on all the wrong sides of it, too.
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Long dark. I bought a sun lamp
Basically an LED panel that is really bright. You're supposed to spend an hour next to it each morning. Don't look at the light, read a newspaper, do chores etc.

I feel it does tickle my brain. I had the choice between this and the ceramic metal halide and this is safer / cooler and uses less electricity. I would actually rather have the CMH because you can feel warmth from it and it slowly ramps up so it feels like there is a sunrise happening. That'll be next.
New Quite different here . . .
. . in this Land of Three Seasons (Drought - Fire - Flood / Mudslide).

Of course in my exact location, there is a significant change in the time of daylight. I live in a deep narrow valley(1) with mountains (to exaggerate a little(2)) on both sides. In summer, sunlight is from one end of this valley to the other. In winter, it is from over one mountain and down over the other. This sort of emulates what is happening in more northern regions - fortunately, not seriously.

(1) This valley exists because a fault line runs from one end to the other, but it's small, and been dormant for a few million years or so, unlike up in Washington, where it's very big, and on a 300 year cycle that's past due. A good thing about this area is that it's all rotten granite, and I mean really rotten, you can kick it apart with your boots. This doesn't propagate earthquake shocks very well at all.

(2) Actually, compared to the Appalachians. these are "mountains", but compared to what we call "mountains" out here, not so much.
New I'm on the edge of the state with real mountains to the east.
This means sunrise is around 7:00 a.m.
New That means you'll get flattened by the tsunami.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New I love the tsunami evacuation signs
When's the last tsunami that hit this area? Never.
New let Never:u32 = 5;
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
Expand Edited by InThane Oct. 11, 2021, 12:02:08 PM EDT
New There was once a continent . . .
. . where the Pacific Ocean is now. The Pacific Plate shoved the whole thing down under the North American Plate - except a fragment along the Pacific Northwest - which is still being shoved under.

As that former continent is shoved under, it causes the land to bulge up to the east. When it finally releases, the land slides west and drops. This action causes a very major tsunami, affecting the coast from Vancouver Island to the northern border of California.

Geologists have determined these slippages happen on average every 300 years. It is now 321 years since the last one. The tsunami could hit this afternoon, or 150 years from now, we do not know. What we do know is that it will happen.

Geologists expect that pretty much everything west of the I5 will be wiped.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Oct. 11, 2021, 01:34:49 PM EDT
New If you're looking for Never, it ain't there.
Ground Zero for the next Really, Really Big One. You're literally right on the spot they use for making cross-sections to show how incredibly screwed that region is in the next quake. :-/

https://www.seismescanada.rncan.gc.ca/pprs-pprp/pubs/GF-GI/GEOFACT_ETS_e.pdf
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     I've got a burn pit so I made a bonfire - (crazy) - (16)
         considering all of the wildfires the past few years - (lincoln) - (15)
             Must suck to live in a dry area - (crazy) - (14)
                 You're in basically the same climate as me - (pwhysall) - (13)
                     Cheer up, you've got over an hour more than that. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         Re: Cheer up, you've got over an hour more than that. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Hour? The first and last frigging MONTHS of the year are totally fracking useless. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 Don't know about Finland, but in Iceland couples have more children. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     You'd think that goes for all the Nordic countries, but nativity here is still really low. - (CRConrad)
                     Long dark. I bought a sun lamp - (crazy) - (7)
                         Quite different here . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                             I'm on the edge of the state with real mountains to the east. - (crazy) - (5)
                                 That means you'll get flattened by the tsunami. -NT - (InThane) - (4)
                                     I love the tsunami evacuation signs - (crazy) - (3)
                                         let Never:u32 = 5; - (InThane) - (1)
                                             There was once a continent . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                         If you're looking for Never, it ain't there. - (malraux)

In conclusion, lithium in the water supply.
146 ms