IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Understood
My mother was a crazy germaphobe who ended up as a hoarder. My brother is a crazy germ phobe.

I just spent the last 10 years of my life in an environment that I could not control. And that environment turned into a filthy pigsty. The people in that environment had much better immune systems than mine. So they produce an environment which I could not enter into.

Seriously, these people have T cells that wipe out everything without the slightest hint of sickness. And they didn't give a s*** about the flies. I did. So I could not enter into my kitchen for the last 6 months of my life.

So I might be overreacting. But I'm not taking any chances.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 09:36:40 AM EDT
New Let me add to that
M told me I was too clean. She has an immune system that she's worried about black helicopters coming and taking her away to make her a lab rat. It's that good.

And she's right. The only reason I'm willing to speak about this is that these people have been discovered about 2 years ago and they're already the lab rats. So no one's going to just go steal her.

I finally got an environment that I can control and I will keep it clean. That means if she does something that drops s*** on the floor I'm going to tell her about it, and she's not going to be happy.

I clean up. It's nobody else's hassle. But don't make extra work for me. It's my goddamn house.

After that discussion she left two pieces of chicken to defrost on a glass-cutting board on an open counter. And this cutting board has plastic corners which means everything runs in it and gathers and I can't clean it. I have to get rid of this cutting board. It came with the house. I've got salmonella running everywhere. I was furious. I told her if I had the choice to be filthy with her versus clean and alone I would take clean.

Mr Monk? I'm just trying to survive here without explosive diarrhea.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 05:21:06 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:17:38 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:24:48 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:34:33 PM EDT
New No big loss: If she can't...
No no, relax, sorry -- what I mean is, who the F needs a glass1 "cutting board"?!? Throw that fucker away, and never get anything like it again. Hey, it's not too huge to take with you when you move, so the previous owner must have had other reasons for leaving it behind.

The purpose of a cutting board is two-(or three-)fold: to keep whatever you're cutting off your table or other work surface, and also -- at least as importantly, AFAICS -- to to keep your knife off your table, to spare the table, and your other work surfaces off your knife, to spare that. That's why they're made of wood, or, nowadays, plastic: That doesn't foul knives. Glass does, so it's about the stupidest material imaginable for cutting boards. What's next, stone "cutting boards"?!? (Sigh... Don't tell me: Some idiot2 is already selling them, I assume.)

I remember seeing vigorous online debate about the hygienic properties of plastic vs wooden boards, decades ago. AFAICR it was pretty undecided back then; wood, perhaps somewhat unexpectedly, did better than plastic in some investigations, worse in others. So get a bunch of either one of these, or both:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/proppmaett-chopping-board-50233422/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/legitim-chopping-board-white-90202268/

We have a set of three Legitim in different colours; had them for at least fifteen years, and still going strong. Couldn't find the wooden ones we also have three of (in slightly different sizes), but they're rather similar to Proppmätt. Those are slightly the worse for wear than the plastic ones, but nowhere near bad enough to throw away.

Fucking weird names, BTW: "Legitim" means "legitimate" (or just "legit", I suppose, in the current vernacular), but WTF does that have to do with cutting food? And "proppmätt" means "absolutely full" [with food, used of people], as in "I'm proppmätt, I couldn't eat a bite more". Perhaps better suited to a very big plate or something?

___

1: See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmNOfLEbcyY , and apparently it's also been done for real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXFOrh_7vM

2: Well no, OK: Not the seller is the idiot, but the buyers.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I have wooden chopping boards for vegetables, and plastic ones for meat
The plastic ones go in the dishwasher.

Glass chopping boards? That's the sort of thing that should get you put on a register.
New bleach can get into the cracks on a wood cutting board for cleaning
and if some wood ends up in the food you are processing oh well. Nylon not so much
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New On ballance, wood does as well as plastic . . .
. . for two reasons. Cuts in plastic can close locking in contamination. Wood doesn't do that, and has some antiseptic properties as well.

Myself, I have only one chopping board. It's large (16x18 inches - 40x46 cm), very thick (2 inches - 5 cm), end block wood. I do not hesitate to break bones on it. For hard bones I use a Henkels meat clever, driven by a heavy soft faced mallet. No, I rarely swing the thing. For softer bones (fish, chicken, pig feet, etc. I use a razor sharp Chinese cleaver knife, driven by the same mallet.

Stupidest thing I've read on knives is "A meat cleaver doesn't need to be sharp". Hell it doesn't. It needs to be sharp like any other knife, just at a steeper angle for strength. Sharp so it bites into the bone and the bone doesn't slip.

A dull cleaver is just asking for a bone to escape from under it, fly across the kitchen, at high speed, straight into the antique glassware you aunt Julie gave you - and she's coming to visit next week, and will do inventory.
     Sous Vide? - (crazy) - (17)
         It's better after freezing - (crazy) - (15)
             Mr Monk, we need to talk about this peroxide habit of yours. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                 Understood - (crazy) - (5)
                     Let me add to that - (crazy) - (4)
                         No big loss: If she can't... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             I have wooden chopping boards for vegetables, and plastic ones for meat - (pwhysall)
                         bleach can get into the cracks on a wood cutting board for cleaning - (boxley) - (1)
                             On ballance, wood does as well as plastic . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             I had a couple people over for dinner last night - (crazy) - (7)
                 That's some high-risk chicken, isn't it? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Time is important too - (scoenye)
                     Not at all - (crazy)
                 Just a note about the neighbors... - (InThane) - (3)
                     For some reason covid vaccine deniers are often not generic anti-vaxxers - (crazy) - (2)
                         Is that better or worse than stupidest smart people? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Better -NT - (drook)
         Twitter thread for you - (drook)

It requests to the errors of the tree of the activator of the exit in tribune of the suggestions.
85 ms