IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's better after freezing
A bit softer. Not mush, but definitely more easily chewed.

My favorite aspect of all of this is total separation of the raw vs cooked prep.

My kitchen is not large. You can be sure there is bacterial splatter during prep. I scrub and wash constantly as I'm moving around touching yucky stuff.

Before I do anything I do a major cleanup. I don't mean there's dishes in the sink. But I go over the counters and backsplashes and everything I might touch with a hydrogen peroxide scrub.

Then I take out everything I'm working with. Some dishes require working with raw and cooked stuff for simultaneous prep and cooking as you move through a recipe. I hate that. I won't do that anymore.

So anyway, all raw prep is done at once and you can do a large quantity of it to make the effort of the clean pass worth it. And I don't go back and forth washing my hands many times. All yucky stuff is done at once.

Then I spice and package it up. When I say package it up I mean I put the meat in the freezer bags and seal it up. I then actually wash the outside of the bags including the lip area above the seal with hydrogen peroxide. This stuff is clean.

I drop everything in the sous vide machine at that point and do the cleanup. This includes another hydrogen peroxide scrub on the final pass.

Whenever I take a bag out to use it I have no concern about any bacterial presence. I can let it sit and defrost and any condensation liquid is clean.

I cut the bag open and that's not blood anymore. It never was, I know, but that's how I viewed it.

When I pick it up with my hands I'm not terrified of anything getting into a minor cut. I use gloves whenever touching raw stuff but at this point they are not necessary.

When I put it in the pan with tongs I can use the same tongs to take it out of the pan without washing in between. I can use the same fork that I took it out of the bag to eat with. I can use the same knife that I did a fat trim with. Same plate that I used to position the meat before cooking, I can then eat off of.

This is the difference between a large cleanup run 3 times a week versus once every two months while dramatically limiting my daily cleanup during meal work.
New Mr Monk, we need to talk about this peroxide habit of yours.
New Understood
My mother was a crazy germaphobe who ended up as a hoarder. My brother is a crazy germ phobe.

I just spent the last 10 years of my life in an environment that I could not control. And that environment turned into a filthy pigsty. The people in that environment had much better immune systems than mine. So they produce an environment which I could not enter into.

Seriously, these people have T cells that wipe out everything without the slightest hint of sickness. And they didn't give a s*** about the flies. I did. So I could not enter into my kitchen for the last 6 months of my life.

So I might be overreacting. But I'm not taking any chances.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 09:36:40 AM EDT
New Let me add to that
M told me I was too clean. She has an immune system that she's worried about black helicopters coming and taking her away to make her a lab rat. It's that good.

And she's right. The only reason I'm willing to speak about this is that these people have been discovered about 2 years ago and they're already the lab rats. So no one's going to just go steal her.

I finally got an environment that I can control and I will keep it clean. That means if she does something that drops s*** on the floor I'm going to tell her about it, and she's not going to be happy.

I clean up. It's nobody else's hassle. But don't make extra work for me. It's my goddamn house.

After that discussion she left two pieces of chicken to defrost on a glass-cutting board on an open counter. And this cutting board has plastic corners which means everything runs in it and gathers and I can't clean it. I have to get rid of this cutting board. It came with the house. I've got salmonella running everywhere. I was furious. I told her if I had the choice to be filthy with her versus clean and alone I would take clean.

Mr Monk? I'm just trying to survive here without explosive diarrhea.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 05:21:06 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:17:38 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:24:48 PM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 2, 2021, 06:34:33 PM EDT
New No big loss: If she can't...
No no, relax, sorry -- what I mean is, who the F needs a glass1 "cutting board"?!? Throw that fucker away, and never get anything like it again. Hey, it's not too huge to take with you when you move, so the previous owner must have had other reasons for leaving it behind.

The purpose of a cutting board is two-(or three-)fold: to keep whatever you're cutting off your table or other work surface, and also -- at least as importantly, AFAICS -- to to keep your knife off your table, to spare the table, and your other work surfaces off your knife, to spare that. That's why they're made of wood, or, nowadays, plastic: That doesn't foul knives. Glass does, so it's about the stupidest material imaginable for cutting boards. What's next, stone "cutting boards"?!? (Sigh... Don't tell me: Some idiot2 is already selling them, I assume.)

I remember seeing vigorous online debate about the hygienic properties of plastic vs wooden boards, decades ago. AFAICR it was pretty undecided back then; wood, perhaps somewhat unexpectedly, did better than plastic in some investigations, worse in others. So get a bunch of either one of these, or both:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/proppmaett-chopping-board-50233422/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/legitim-chopping-board-white-90202268/

We have a set of three Legitim in different colours; had them for at least fifteen years, and still going strong. Couldn't find the wooden ones we also have three of (in slightly different sizes), but they're rather similar to Proppmätt. Those are slightly the worse for wear than the plastic ones, but nowhere near bad enough to throw away.

Fucking weird names, BTW: "Legitim" means "legitimate" (or just "legit", I suppose, in the current vernacular), but WTF does that have to do with cutting food? And "proppmätt" means "absolutely full" [with food, used of people], as in "I'm proppmätt, I couldn't eat a bite more". Perhaps better suited to a very big plate or something?

___

1: See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmNOfLEbcyY , and apparently it's also been done for real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuXFOrh_7vM

2: Well no, OK: Not the seller is the idiot, but the buyers.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I have wooden chopping boards for vegetables, and plastic ones for meat
The plastic ones go in the dishwasher.

Glass chopping boards? That's the sort of thing that should get you put on a register.
New bleach can get into the cracks on a wood cutting board for cleaning
and if some wood ends up in the food you are processing oh well. Nylon not so much
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New On ballance, wood does as well as plastic . . .
. . for two reasons. Cuts in plastic can close locking in contamination. Wood doesn't do that, and has some antiseptic properties as well.

Myself, I have only one chopping board. It's large (16x18 inches - 40x46 cm), very thick (2 inches - 5 cm), end block wood. I do not hesitate to break bones on it. For hard bones I use a Henkels meat clever, driven by a heavy soft faced mallet. No, I rarely swing the thing. For softer bones (fish, chicken, pig feet, etc. I use a razor sharp Chinese cleaver knife, driven by the same mallet.

Stupidest thing I've read on knives is "A meat cleaver doesn't need to be sharp". Hell it doesn't. It needs to be sharp like any other knife, just at a steeper angle for strength. Sharp so it bites into the bone and the bone doesn't slip.

A dull cleaver is just asking for a bone to escape from under it, fly across the kitchen, at high speed, straight into the antique glassware you aunt Julie gave you - and she's coming to visit next week, and will do inventory.
New I had a couple people over for dinner last night
I had the sous vide chicken and steak prepped, along with the lovely reduced sauce sides filled with onions and shallots and garlic and mushrooms.

The steak was $7 a pound chuck steak that I had let sit in the sous vide for about 60 hours. It was then frozen and then reheated for about 6 hours sitting in the bath just under cooking temperature but higher than danger temperature. The chicken had been previously sous vide for about 4 hours and frozen and reheated in the same bath. Hot enough to keep basting in the butter and keep it safe but cool enough not to actually cook it.

When they showed up I was able to finish the chicken and steak in under 3 minutes and hand it to them and it was better than anything they ever had in a restaurant.

It would have been the exact same effort to feed 20 people.

And my cooking effort while they were there was almost nothing so I was able to talk.

They said they are picking up one of these machines. It was just too good.
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 15, 2021, 08:53:28 AM EDT
Expand Edited by crazy Oct. 15, 2021, 08:55:05 AM EDT
New That's some high-risk chicken, isn't it?
I'd be leery about cooking anything that low for that long.

Did you get it to 74°C/165°F?
New Time is important too
74°C/165°F is the "nuke from orbit" temperature. But 70 minutes at 136°F (58°C) will accomplish the same thing (as far as Salmonella is concerned.)

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast
New Not at all
I had it at 165 for 4 hours. Killed everything and perfectly softened it. Then I froze it to minus 40 for a couple of days.
New Just a note about the neighbors...
...that region is rather high in the number of antivaxxers who live around there. Just FYI.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New For some reason covid vaccine deniers are often not generic anti-vaxxers
This one's a pure political play for some of them. I haven't met any neighbors who haven't been vaccinated, at least when it comes up and almost all my neighbors wear masks just walk into their dogs.

This couple I met via them picking something off craigslist from me and I found them interesting so I invited them for dinner.

Smartest stupid people I ever met.
New Is that better or worse than stupidest smart people?
New Better
--

Drew
     Sous Vide? - (crazy) - (17)
         It's better after freezing - (crazy) - (15)
             Mr Monk, we need to talk about this peroxide habit of yours. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                 Understood - (crazy) - (5)
                     Let me add to that - (crazy) - (4)
                         No big loss: If she can't... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             I have wooden chopping boards for vegetables, and plastic ones for meat - (pwhysall)
                         bleach can get into the cracks on a wood cutting board for cleaning - (boxley) - (1)
                             On ballance, wood does as well as plastic . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             I had a couple people over for dinner last night - (crazy) - (7)
                 That's some high-risk chicken, isn't it? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Time is important too - (scoenye)
                     Not at all - (crazy)
                 Just a note about the neighbors... - (InThane) - (3)
                     For some reason covid vaccine deniers are often not generic anti-vaxxers - (crazy) - (2)
                         Is that better or worse than stupidest smart people? -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Better -NT - (drook)
         Twitter thread for you - (drook)

Many of the dead have finished being dead without the assistance of medical staff or fancy equipment.
256 ms