When I was in 3rd grade I had to walk to school. It was about half a mile.

And three times a week I would be carrying a trombone in a case.

And then my knee went bad and I had to get surgery and I spent about 6 months on crutches before and after the surgery.

So I would crutch my way to school, clinging the handle of the trombone case and being pulled over since my balance was totally off. This thing was about my size.

My father was at work an hour away and certainly could not drive me. I was incapable of riding a bike. My mother was sleeping off the nightly methamphetamine binge. Doctor prescribed of course. She did a lot of middle of the night vacuuming. And scaring the s*** out of everybody.I did not dare wake her.

I got some amazing upper body strength from those days. I crutched everywhere, quickly. I would jog down the school hallway, in a weird gallop, and then the swinging doors at the end would get kicked with both of my feet in the full force of my body behind it while I was balanced on the crutches.

I was always excused from classes 5 minutes earlier than everybody else just to give me the time to make it to the next class without fighting people in the halls.

I couldn't play it for s***. It was a total waste of time. I am not a musical person, at least I can't produce it myself as opposed to appreciate it when other people do. I did woodwinds, brass, violin, piano. I tried so hard and it didn't matter. Everybody else in my family is musical. Rob can play any instrument with about 5 minutes of futzing around with it.