1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bah, paywall
--

Drew
New Unrelated:
It's amazing how quick the NY Times site is with JavaScript turned off.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New OK, now that I've read it ...
Pieces were written based on what the human performers could physically handle. (Speaking of opera here, orchestral is a somewhat different issue.) Unless human anatomy has significantly changed in the last 2-3 centuries, I don't imagine people's vocal chords are yet capable of significantly higher ranges.

And more "brilliance" and "excitement" ... Maybe the piece isn't intended to be that brilliant and exciting, else it would have been written in a higher key.
--

Drew
New Does singing develop like sports? Athletes regularly do stuff thought impossible a few decades ago.
New Thought about that, but I don't think so
Pitch and resonance are related to the physical volume of the anatomy. Unless skulls and chests and throats have changed, I don't see why natural ranges would change.
--

Drew
New Just like running speed and jump height/length are related to bone and muscle...
New But we've gotten taller, which would make natural ranges lower not higher
--

Drew
New A strange recording . . .
Some years ago I bought a recording of Offenbach's "Les Contes d'Hoffman" (Tales of Hoffman), which turned out to be very strange indeed. It was recorded in Argentina, by an orchestra I'd never heard of. In fact, the only name I recognized was Peter Maag, the once famous conductor who suddenly disappeared, and was found years later in a Buddhist monastery near Hong Kong.

The orchestra sounds like something off old 78s. There's a whole lot of stage noise, but the voices are recorded very well. For a critical part, the wind-up singing doll, they hired an aging soprano just a few months from retirement.

Could she still sing the part? She brought down the house. That was Mady Mesplé, who's specialty was a very strong voice in registers other sopranos couldn't even get to. She died last year at 89.

That's the way to end your career all right. "Gather round girls, and listen to what you will never be able to do."
New archive.is.your.friend
Heh, anyone remember the old "GIYF" acronym...? :-( Anyhoo, as I was saying: https://archive.is/SkvPI
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Plug replacement safety sanity check - (crazy) - (23)
         what happens when you put a surge protector between fan and outlet -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Not done it yet - (crazy)
         You shouldn't need a fused plug. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             Ok. Thanks -NT - (crazy)
             Tested it out - (crazy) - (3)
                 Why would the fan ever reverse? - (drook) - (2)
                     Re: Why would the fan ever reverse? - (scoenye) - (1)
                         For another penny per device in additional coding they could probably fix that -NT - (drook)
         My 0.02A - (scoenye) - (14)
             They must be reselling these from China. - (Andrew Grygus) - (13)
                 I understand why the power freq shifted, but why music? -NT - (drook) - (11)
                     But why music? - (Andrew Grygus)
                     More on that - (malraux) - (9)
                         Bah, paywall -NT - (drook) - (8)
                             Unrelated: - (malraux) - (6)
                                 OK, now that I've read it ... - (drook) - (5)
                                     Does singing develop like sports? Athletes regularly do stuff thought impossible a few decades ago. -NT - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                         Thought about that, but I don't think so - (drook) - (2)
                                             Just like running speed and jump height/length are related to bone and muscle... -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 But we've gotten taller, which would make natural ranges lower not higher -NT - (drook)
                                     A strange recording . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             archive.is.your.friend - (CRConrad)
                 I think it is a UK thing only - (scoenye)

We are antisocial. We like things on our own terms. We break stuff for fun. We're judgey.
177 ms