IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning glasses
Ever since I was 40 I needed reading glasses. And I smudged the s*** out of them as I took them off and put them on.

For years I would use alcohol to clean them but the alcohol was simply attempting to dilute the grease from my fingers. It was a solvent and it cleaned them with lots of work and lots of scrubbing. My glasses always end up scratched after this process.

I just tried hydrogen peroxide. That ate through the grease and totally destroyed it and didn't touch the glasses so I didn't have to put any pressure on it.

I suggest you try hydrogen peroxide to clean glasses if you're in this situation.
New Re: Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning glasses
Does it take off things like antireflective coatings? Hard pass if so.
New My glasses have computer use coating . . .
. . since that's my main use for them. Blue block, which has proven quite durable.

They get cleaned with hot coffee in the morning.
They get cleaned with beer during the day.
they get cleaned with red wine in the evening.

But, when they are as bad as you describe, I spray the with Agent Orange, which is extremely quick and extremely effective.

No, not that Agent Orange - it's my name for powerful citrus peel based cleaners (which I use a lot). I keep a spray bottle of a strong solution for cleaning CDs and glasses, and it is extremely effective.

I learned about it many years ago from new hand cleaning potions for after doing auto mechanic work - the only thing that is effective for that. As most auto mechanics can attest - you wash your hands well with strong soap, and then peel an orange, and the orange peels are dirty. Someone finally monetized that.
New Are those plastic or real glass lenses? Would peroxide dissolve plastic lenses altogether?
I've been thinking about going back to actual glass, and skipping all the fancy coatings.

I usually clean mine with warm water and soap at the washbasin, or warm water and dish-washing detergent at the kitchen sink.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Thrift store foster grants
I always want glasses that have a hinge on them so they don't crush my skull. I found local thrift store that had a stack of foster grants for five bucks a piece. I bought them all.
New Same, soap and warm water
--

Drew
New Dish soap has always worked great for me.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Ditto!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Over-the-counter H2O2 is only a few % in water.
It probably won't hurt normal glasses.

H2O2 is great for attacking organics (finger prints, grease, oil), but at 2% it's probably not going to do much for visible smudges. But most chemical labs use 30% H2O2 solutions (it is a very aggressive oxidizer).

Peter's comments about damaging AR coatings is worth keeping in mind. I believe that when people at work clean delicate optics they use generally straight ethanol + lens paper. Stronger solvents can be risky, and in general solvents shouldn't be used with plastic lenses.

https://www.newport.com/n/how-to-clean-optics

I use liquid "soap" or dish detergent on my glasses (AR coatings and the whole nine yards) - seems fine. Lots of water to rinse.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning glasses - (crazy) - (8)
         Re: Hydrogen peroxide for cleaning glasses - (pwhysall)
         My glasses have computer use coating . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Are those plastic or real glass lenses? Would peroxide dissolve plastic lenses altogether? - (CRConrad) - (4)
             Thrift store foster grants - (crazy)
             Same, soap and warm water -NT - (drook)
             Dish soap has always worked great for me. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                 Ditto! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Over-the-counter H2O2 is only a few % in water. - (Another Scott)

How many IWETHEYers does it take to change a light bulb?
84 ms