IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New 15 Years Of Failure: A history of Google Messaging Apps
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps

From the comments:

I honestly don't get why anyone who is a consumer even bothers with anything from Google anymore. I really don't. I just don't understand why anyone bothers, especially businesses. They can't keep one friggin' project or service on the same initially advertised path for more than a year or two without either taking something out of it, merging (and breaking) it with something else, or just canceling it altogether. I mean, shit, I'm honestly surprised their search page still works without throwing up errors all over the place, moving buttons everywhere, removing features from it, or just failing to update it and replacing it with "Google Serche, a new search engine!".

It's sad. What feels like decades ago at this point, if your boss said to you "hey, we're looking for alternatives to Microsoft for our office and productivity suite, do you have any ideas?" and you responded back with "Google Business apps!", you'd be promoted, given a corner office and a company car. Nowadays, if anyone suggested that a company sink time and money into a Google service, they'd get laughed out of the room and kicked in the balls by the janitor.
New That was really interesting.
I remember Google Wave. I also remember the "why?" reactions to it.

I suspected for quite some years that there are a couple of products and features that Google keeps running and maintained because they have a large amount of customers who are paying actual money and insisting on actual service. GMail and the whole Docs ecosystem would be one of them. The multi-user login mechanism (something Facebook doesn't do but Twitter does) I would say is another.

Wade.
New Isn't their login just OAuth?
If so, that's why it still works. It's an open protocol they don't control.
--

Drew
New I meant how you can be logged in to several at once.
And there's a neat little switcher to switch between them. I remember when that started rolling out across their properties.

I have three Google accounts because they all originated from before they were unified in Google: one was originally for Gmail and now I also use for Android, one was for Google+ and is now my Youtube Premium account, and the last my original Youtube account. Oh, I have a fourth for my Kpop playlist which I share with the other contributors.

Wade.
New Ahh, that ... All the better to target you with
--

Drew
New I didn't get Wave, either.
Installed it, and was all "huh? what now? is this email? is it newsgroups? a wiki? WTF AM I SUPPOSED TO DO NOW?"
New I vaguely recall trying it and having a very similar reaction.
New I remember thinking they were trying to recreate Facebook
--

Drew
New That was most peoples' reaction to Google Plus.
New Understandable, because that was exactly what they were doing. Only diff: It was better. :-(
New Oh that's right ... Now I can't remember thinking *anything* about Wave
--

Drew
     15 Years Of Failure: A history of Google Messaging Apps - (pwhysall) - (10)
         That was really interesting. - (static) - (9)
             Isn't their login just OAuth? - (drook) - (2)
                 I meant how you can be logged in to several at once. - (static) - (1)
                     Ahh, that ... All the better to target you with -NT - (drook)
             I didn't get Wave, either. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                 I vaguely recall trying it and having a very similar reaction. -NT - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     I remember thinking they were trying to recreate Facebook -NT - (drook) - (3)
                         That was most peoples' reaction to Google Plus. -NT - (static) - (2)
                             Understandable, because that was exactly what they were doing. Only diff: It was better. :-( -NT - (CRConrad)
                             Oh that's right ... Now I can't remember thinking *anything* about Wave -NT - (drook)

I am discretely counting the dark sides you have seen.
109 ms