IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Contract offer sent via FedEx
I am buying a house remotely. Scariest stuff in the world.

5 minutes walk to the beach but high enough that not flood risk. 5 minutes walk to a state forest with 50 miles of forest and beach to explore on an electric bike. 20 minutes drive to the town center but in the ritzy suburb in the very edge by the ocean.

Hey Peter. Still too cold to swim without a wetsuit. So you beat me there.

On the other hand it can feed me. Clams, oysters, geoduck, crabs. I can easily fulfill my daily protein requirements times 10.

If I want to fish I can fish for salmon. This house is on the edge of Washington State and Canada.

Private airport two blocks away. About 20 planes and two ultra lights station there. I will make friends and have some serious joy rides.

This is a craigslist deal. The guy does not want to spend real estate fees. For all I know he doesn't own the house. That's what title search is for.

I had a home inspector to go in. Roof will need patching. Electrical panel might need some safety work. I don't care. I'll handle it.

Homeowner is way too interesting. He was arrested and went to jail in the midst of negotiations and is currently bailed out.

I have already given him good faith money and FedExed the contract. He just went to the title company today to start the ball rolling so it just became real. Everything up until this moment was b*******.

I have bought a shitload of camping gear. I have the best shovel / saw in the world. I went through a couple of them before I decide to keep this one.

I have a handheld rechargeable chainsaw. That one had me giggling like a little kid.

I have what looks like a cooler but is really a freezer. I can churn out ice in it, it sits at -4°.

I have a 5 gallon bucket filled with nuts and berries. I love them all. I could live for months on that alone. I have emergency medical supplies that will put in ambulance to shame.

I have a tent that I hope to never use. And attaches to the back of an SUV or van and extends the space. It's very large it can fit 8 to 10 people for sleeping. It's all mine or my wife if she chooses to join me.

I have 220 watt times 18 volt solar panels that will fill an enormous portable battery that will run anything I want if I'm actually camping and not driving. Otherwise the battery is just always full from the car as I am driving. I can put those solar panels on the roof though and save on mileage. My current mileage is 86 miles per gallon in the hybrid but I will probably be taking the van so that will suck down to 10 20 miles per gallon.

I have 20 cubic foot aerodynamic bag that I can store pretty much store everything up top which then means if I have to park in the van and unroll the mattress I can sleep in that.

I am prepared for an adventure.

I have hotel rooms set up for halfway through the drive and then a week after the drive. But that still gives a month or two until settlement and I have to figure out where to live in Washington State at that time because there's no place for me to come back to.

That's a different story. I'll leave that out for now.
New too cold to swim at any time of year
why the hotels? stop at an occasional campground, pay parking fees so you can shower and get electricity
facebook group rv electricity has interesting solar/battery info without drama

be very careful where you park there is a great deal of meth and other problems in the pacific northwest according to friends that live that way

portable shitter is very important

feel free to hit me up on email if you want to share anything

check any state federal fishing/crabbing/clamming egs to ensure you dont need or get a license to do same. They are very strict about that.

good luck
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New I know
I was pointing out that Peter had the advantage on me on that at all times. And it is really tough for me to get a wetsuit that fits my legs and my gut at the same time. I'll have to go get it professionally fitted and get a 2 piece suit.

On the other hand, hey Peter, how high above sea level is your house?

On the other hand I am in serious earthquake cycle area. The kind of earthquake that doesn't bother shaking your house, it drops a 300 mi area about 60 ft down and everything disappears into the ocean.

We are due. I just have to accept that sometime in the next 300 years it will be happening. Hopefully I'll be dead first.

I think you answered the question why not camp. You just went on and on on the possible dangers and downsides of it.

I am prepared to camp if I have to. But I won't if I don't have to.

Yes I read all about the licensing required as far as to go pick up things on the beach. No problem, 50 or 75 bucks a year.
New Probably 4-5 metres
New That should be good
Even the most alarmist predictions I've seen are only for 8-10 feet.
--

Drew
New You're good.
New It's amazing the problems a typo on an offer can cause
Especially when it passes multiple people and it is simply a number on the address. Now I have to see if the number on the address is truly a typo at the endpoint of the process or if they used it to generate all the associated legalese because it's very specific to the address.

Eight versus threes and old eyes don't mix well.
New Good luck.
They'll catch the errors eventually.

When we bought this place we had a first mortgage and a higher interest 2nd mortgage and 10% down (80/10/10 - to not have to pay for PMI). Of course, there were about 6 copies of each mortgage that we had to sign.

About a year after we moved in, we got a letter with one of the 2nd mortgage sets that needed to be signed. We signed it, no issues.

(We paid off the 2nd mortgage quickly and eventually refinanced the first at a lower rate, and ended up paying everything off in less than 20 years by paying more in principal each month. I have no idea how people can do things like that these days, and it probably doesn't make sense to do so with less than 3% rates now...)

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Contract offer sent via FedEx - (crazy) - (7)
         too cold to swim at any time of year - (boxley) - (4)
             I know - (crazy) - (3)
                 Probably 4-5 metres -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     That should be good - (drook)
                     You're good. -NT - (crazy)
         It's amazing the problems a typo on an offer can cause - (crazy) - (1)
             Good luck. - (Another Scott)

And she wasn't kidding, either, 'cause in came the biggest, meanest looking haddock I'd ever seen come down the pike. He was covered with mussels.
147 ms