IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Looking for dash cam recommendations
I am going on a long road trip. Cross country, including possible camping. My paranoia is high and I want full recording, especially for the moment when I get pulled over.

I want 360 degree. I'd prefer the rear camera gets placed on the rear window rather than try to wire it underneath outside.

I want audio. I find even if some cameras have audio they don't list it on their specs but I randomly discover it while reading their instructions.

I want the videos it records to be GPS stamped. I want court admissible evidence.

I want it to record on car movement when I'm away, IE: if the car gets hit while parked.

I want the ability for it to be talking to my phone at all times (via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) and have one button streaming for when I get pulled over. I want that stuff to go up to the cloud so even though the cop takes all my electronic gear I have backup elsewhere.

Okay that's the basic functionality assuming the pictures are any good.

There are way too many choices, I've been wandering for hours.

Any recommendations?
New Some have onboard LTE so it doesn't depend on your phone
AKA poor-man's LoJack.

Have you checked Wirecutter?
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-dash-cam/
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Aug. 8, 2021, 12:48:30 PM EDT
New Cord cutters loves vantrue
I guess I could give up on the audio, and pick up one of those three channel models.

https://www.getnexar.com/

Actually just tried to go buy something from nexar are but it's in pre-order status. Yet it's deliverable from Amazon. At least Amazon says so. We shall see.

The safety aspect of the software and their cloud service was what got me. And I fully recognize I've added yet another government tracking device to my life. Which now includes video. But supposedly it still works if the cloud goes away as it streams to my phone so I can always set up a forwarding situation if I have to.

I gave up on the real rear camera in the hopes that the interior camera will pick up the outside as well.

Nexar Pro GPS | Dual Dash Cam System | 128 GB | New 2021 Model | SD Card Included | Road & Interior Recording | Unlimited Cloud Storage | Parking Mode | WiFi https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081NRNDWW/ref=cm_sw_r_sm_apa_glt_fabc_23XYXWGZ4PZSNX7P29TW?psc=1
New I'd also rather have the interior view than the back view
You didn't list it, but I assumed from your use case the interior view was a hard requirement.
--

Drew
New I don't know about hard requirement
But I don't want to run wires. So rear view camera is iffy.

That's why I really love that security 360 style camera but everyone said it sucks so I guess I shouldn't pay way too much for a way too little.

I won't have any passengers so I really don't give a s*** about the interior view. But if the camera gets a cop while I'm simultaneously audio recording on my phone that's a benefit. So that's what the interior view would be for.
New I'd want the camera to capture *me*
"He was reaching under the seat."

"It looked like he had a gun."

"He refused to provide his license."

I want there to be no question about what I did.
--

Drew
New Life's too short.
I don't know what to recommend. There are reviews of 360-deg cameras out there.

1) There's safety in numbers. Don't be alone if you can help it.

2) If you get pulled over, presumably you'll be there and will have your phone camera. Use that.

3) Even if you find something that can record everything, there will be a mountain of data that you have to save and/or upload somewhere. Do you have an unlimited cellular plan? Is it unlimited-enough to handle this?

Keep your phone charged, know how to upload video instantly, know how to lock it/wipe it quickly if necessary.

Review the rules and recommendations on peaceful assembly and personal security.

Remember, the odds are in your favor that nobody will mess with you.

My $0.02. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Life's too short.
>Remember, the odds are
> in your favor that nobody
> will mess with you.

How long have you spent in jail? What will the next charges cost you? Does your last name indicate that you killed Christ and that you're currently an agent of a global cabal dedicated to the destruction of America? Are you driving a vehicle with plates from a hippie state through multiple prohibition states?

I really think you have no clue what's going on out there. There is a border battle and they pick off people based on their tags.

There are many cases of cops ripping phones out of people's hands when they realize they're being recorded. The last thing I want to do is trigger cop rage to take a communication device away from me.

So that's why I said I want the one button streaming start so as I'm being pulled over it'll upload the last 30 seconds of what happened and will continue to upload what's happening. There are a couple of vendors that do that.

I want to be able to say to a cop: good evening officer, we are both being recorded and is already has been uploaded to the cloud and is streaming now so if you take my devices away it doesn't matter. Then we are both on our best behavior. I could imagine having a hidden one recording simultaneously in case he really does go to rip stuff apart.

I know it happens. I want to be prepared.

On the other hand you have done some serious traveling so I'd like some advice but not in this forum.

Last name dot First name at gmail.com please.
New I'm generally a coward traveling.
I probably can't be of much assistance.

Have I told the story about being a 20-something in Athens standing around with a camera around my neck looking at a map, and a too friendly guy coming up to me, talking in English, and saying he had relatives in the States and I should come down to his establishment down the street for a beverage?

And feeling uneasy, but decided to go with him anyway (after trying to decline several times)?

And hear him talking to the bartender in Greek while he sits me down at a table and asks what I want to drink? (Nothing)

And a beautiful girl sits down at the table with me and has a drink and is very, very friendly and laughing and touching my hand? While I'm saying almost nothing?

And I don't have anything to drink and I don't like how this is going, and say I need to go, and the bartender says I owe them something like $20 in the local currency?

I paid and left and muttered "klefty" (thief) under my breath as I walked through the door.

And all this happens in the space of about 10 minutes?

Yeah, I'm not the person to ask. ;-)

Peter may have some pointers?

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
Expand Edited by Another Scott Aug. 8, 2021, 06:00:26 PM EDT
New You need to watch this
New Also "audit the audit" YouTube channel
--

Drew
     Looking for dash cam recommendations - (crazy) - (10)
         Some have onboard LTE so it doesn't depend on your phone - (drook) - (4)
             Cord cutters loves vantrue - (crazy) - (3)
                 I'd also rather have the interior view than the back view - (drook) - (2)
                     I don't know about hard requirement - (crazy) - (1)
                         I'd want the camera to capture *me* - (drook)
         Life's too short. - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: Life's too short. - (crazy) - (3)
                 I'm generally a coward traveling. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     You need to watch this - (crazy) - (1)
                         Also "audit the audit" YouTube channel -NT - (drook)

gconftool is used to control GConf from the command line.
114 ms