IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New That's a more difficult problem, isn't it?
If we want to have fewer deaths on the highways, and there's a relatively simple way to address it in the car (car detects alcohol/pot/whatever above some level, car won't start), why not do it?

How much of the lack-of-sleep problem when people get in the car, and how much is people driving 12+ hours because they need to get home? How can you handle a sleepy/impaired driver without full autonomous self-driving cars? Hey, bub, you're too sleepy - we're going to pull off now until you've slept a while. Do we really want more traffic cops pulling people over for violations? Or more traffic cameras tracking us while we're out and about? (The last is probably inevitable...)

Once the car is in motion, it's a much more difficult problem.

Presumably there will be easy ways to defeat the sniffer, for those determined to do so...

Cheers,
Scott.
New How about we stop ...
relying on late 19th/early 20th century modes of transportation in the 21st century? Automobiles are a spectacularly stupid way to get around.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Because it's not a solved problem
The current point eight level on alcohol is a good approximation of effect versus amount. Little more or a little less, you know someone seriously affected unless they have a high tolerance at that level.

Cannabis is all over the place. I fully accept no one should be driving for the first several hours after smoking, possibly 8 to 12 hours after an edible, the current test had no way of figuring out that timeline.

They can tell if you smoked in the last 15 minutes or they can tell if you smoked in the last month. That's it.

Just like there's no oxycodone level for impaired driving, simply if you have a prescription for it it is your choice to make that decision, cannabis falls in that. The difference is oxycodone is prescribed and it will be up to a cop to say if you were driving dangerously. How do you apply that logic to starting the car up?

And I know there's logic or reaction puzzles you can force upon people and determine whether or not their reaction falls within reasonable guidelines. How do you force the vast majority of the population to go through that every time they start their car up?

And imagine the kids screaming in the backseat as the frustrated mom is trying to do the puzzle.
Expand Edited by crazy Aug. 23, 2021, 12:32:57 PM EDT
     another reason to own classic cars - (boxley) - (14)
         Fuck that noise. - (InThane) - (1)
             dont disagree - (boxley)
         It's hardly buried. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Tackling it the wrong way - (drook) - (10)
                 cell phones, dont forget cell phones -NT - (boxley)
                 That's a more difficult problem, isn't it? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     How about we stop ... - (mmoffitt)
                     Because it's not a solved problem - (crazy)
                 Sleep experts say it's worse. - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Nope, that's bullshit. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                     We *can* stop the others now - (drook) - (3)
                         Yeah, sure. So do that TOO. -NT - (CRConrad)
                         That's how we do it. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             And it puts the cost where it belongs, on the people doing it wrong -NT - (drook)

My own limited experience with his work has struck me as being despondent in tone. I get that, but if I wanted to be hopeless and depressed about the state of the world I would just listen to the voices in my head.
67 ms