IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I meant things that they're better at than anyone else
There are lots of companies good at gaming, services, etc.

What they're uniquely good at - what makes them that metric shitload of money - are the three I mentioned. The compatibility and lock-in alone pretty much define the corporate hegemony.
--

Drew
New OK
Backwards compatibility - they're definitely good at it, but I'm not sure how much money it makes them. People get Game Pass to play the latest games, and the X360 and OG XB games are just a nice to have. Yeah, Windows runs on some old-ass hardware, but there's shots fired in Windows 11 - TPM2.0 or fuck off, no W11 for YUO!

The other products copying thing - you sure? Their big moneyspinner is Windows and services built on Windows, like Azure. And whilst Windows has got roots in VMS, it's not that similar, especially once you step outside the kernel itself. Office is mostly home-grown (and they make an absolute fuckload out of 365, btw) although they did buy PowerPoint.

Lock-in - yeah but nah but yeah but nah. I know what you're driving at, but I honestly think you're only as locked-in as you want to be, in 2021. Ten years ago this was an absolute given, but things have moved on. There are whole businesses running on Google Docs now, frinstance.

You don't have to guess at what makes MS's money. You can just go look.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Investor/earnings/FY-2021-Q4/press-release-webcast

(Aside: Azure is up 46%. That's only 46%. You know you're in bizarro-world when 46% growth is the lowest it's ever been, and thus a disappointment)
Expand Edited by pwhysall Aug. 2, 2021, 10:47:37 AM EDT
New I'm allowed to be lazy
In my current world my team evaluates cloud-based security products. We're mostly AWS first, Azure second. The only Windows to be seen is VMs, which are mostly hosted on Linux servers.

Desktops are default Windows, but developers can request Mac (and most do). I know that my knowledge about MS' offerings is about a decade out of date, so if we evaluate something on the desktop I'll have to get current. Until that, I'm happy to leave my opinions unexamined.
--

Drew
     M1 iPad Pro 11” - (pwhysall) - (12)
         Thanks for the review. - (Another Scott) - (10)
             It makes me feel a little bad for AMD. - (InThane)
             Amen to that! - (a6l6e6x)
             I love a 16" laptop screen - (malraux)
             I'm going to get crucified, know it... - (static) - (6)
                 Why would you get crucified? - (drook) - (5)
                     They're good at a whole lot more than that, of course - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         I meant things that they're better at than anyone else - (drook) - (2)
                             OK - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 I'm allowed to be lazy - (drook)
                     Because there are people who hate Windows 8. - (static)
         Relatedly - Android Police - M1 iMac Review. - (Another Scott)

He makes Murphy look like a babbling optimist.
61 ms