IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't consider that "counter-intuitive"
The guy making that bet wasn't thinking.

The wind is not pushing the vehicle, it's spinning a prop that provides energy to a drive train. This vehicle should be able to drive straight into the wind too (reverse the prop for that).

As for the sailboat thing, I got tired of that article right away. I could do the entire explanation in just a few sentences.

Air has mass and inertia. When the boat is sailing crosswise to the wind, the sail is positioned to force the air to change course. The inertia of the air hitting the the back side of the sail pushes against the sail. The mass of air flowing across the front of the sail is also forced to change course, and its inertia causes a partial vacuum on the front surface of the sail, which pulls the sail forward.
New That's backwards
The wheels are turning a chain that drives the prop. If you disconnect the chain and lock the prop in place it will go downwind at something less than wind speed. Engage the chain and it spins the prop, providing thrust.
--

Drew
New Ah, yes, I see how that would work.
The wheels spin the prop so it pushes back against the wind, so the effective wind at the propeller is greater than the actual wind. Wind plus reverse thrust = faster.
     Mechanics is Counter-Intuitive Part MCMXIV - (Another Scott) - (4)
         Awesome, a follow-up! - (drook)
         I don't consider that "counter-intuitive" - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             That's backwards - (drook) - (1)
                 Ah, yes, I see how that would work. - (Andrew Grygus)

All that did was remind me of the fruit in the "Sledgehammer" video by Peter Gabriel.
54 ms