IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Whistler's enunciation grinds my gears.
He's got what probably sounds to non-native ears like well-spoken (almost RP) diction - but it's just off enough, with an ever-present hint of estuary, that I'd rather he spoke in a broad Birmingham accent.

YTers I prefer to listen to, over Whistler, and their accents:

Mike from ThatChapter (Dublin "turty tree")
Atomic Shrimp (English)
Kurzgesagt (very English)
Big Clive (Edinburgh)
Fran Blanche (Mild E. Coast merkin)
Caitlin from Ask a Mortician (Mild W. Coast Merkin)
The Shrouded Hand (Soft Liverpool)
Clint from LGR (soft Southern; think he's in Tennessee?)
Neil from RMC (soft/posh SW English)
Quinn from Snazzy Labs (generic California, I think)

And, of course, the one whose visual style Whistler has wholeheartedly copied:

Michael from Vsauce.

(Also, I'm not convinced about Whistler's fact-checking)
Expand Edited by pwhysall June 17, 2021, 12:57:51 PM EDT
New Then there's those who get on my tits a little bit, but I like their content anyway
Hank from SciShow (much prefer Olivia's presentation)
Dave from EEVBlog (too squeaky)
Linus from Linus Tech Tips (also too squeaky, should basically let Anthony do all the talking)
Justin from JustinGuitar (so unctuous and worthy, but you'll not find a better learn-to-play-the-guitar channel)
Dawid from Dawid Does Tech Stuff (wtf is that accent?)
Mehdi from ElectrBOOM (but let's face it, we only watch to see (a) him hurt himself and (b) his daughter laughing at (a))
New Ooh! Clint from LGR!
Yes, he has a nice presentation voice.

Wade.
New Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys?
I'm not even sure any more which of them I really thought would be best for this; I suppose I knew at some time they're not one and the same, but I don't think I remembered that when I wrote the above. So I was probably thinking of an amalgam of both that I'd created in my mind; perhaps someone with Stevens' mannerisms and patterns of speech, but Whistler's voice and possibly accent.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys?
Vsauce has 17M subscribers. All of Whistler's channels together...

...don't.
New So what? I'm equally many subscribers on both: Just one.
New It's about confusing a very famous person with a not very famous person
(In YT terms, anyhoo)
New Is that even a thing; are celebrities now gods, to not even *be confused for* mere mortals?
     Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - (Andrew Grygus) - (29)
         I want that narrated and animated - (drook) - (11)
             He might be too expensive. - (static) - (10)
                 Tom, yes, but who's Derek? Oh, so that's Veritasium's name. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     Whistler used to be better. - (static)
                     Whistler's enunciation grinds my gears. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                         Then there's those who get on my tits a little bit, but I like their content anyway - (pwhysall)
                         Ooh! Clint from LGR! - (static)
                         Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             Re: Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 So what? I'm equally many subscribers on both: Just one. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     It's about confusing a very famous person with a not very famous person - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Is that even a thing; are celebrities now gods, to not even *be confused for* mere mortals? -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - (pwhysall) - (2)
             The standard Sci-Fi solution - (drook)
             Yes, that's the point. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Nice article - (crazy) - (11)
             Water bombardment sounded so implausible when I first heard it - (drook) - (10)
                 Same. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     WTF is all this then? Sounded so to me too when I first heard -- i.e. just now. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         I had that same exact feeling when I was around 8 years old - (crazy) - (3)
                             I've gone down rabbit holes of his stuff before - (drook) - (2)
                                 I love his challenges - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Yup, some of them I wish we full length and with full instrumentation -NT - (drook)
                     I like this theory better - (drook) - (3)
                         The (non-bird) dinosaurs send their regards, wishing you were right. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Rare events are great at destruction, not as much for creation/accumulation -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                 True, didn't think of that distinction. - (CRConrad)
         Interesting thoughts! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Same place where they had that big religious debate in the fourth century, right? - (CRConrad)

What rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs.
179 ms