IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bobby Fisher not just a chess guru
He picked up chess because all the other puzzle games were too easy. He was the fastest in the world at the 15 game.
--

Drew
New I've heard tell he wasn't actually all that great at chess.
Source: I used to play on my high school team and our instructor made us study him. Of course he played well above our level, but the general consensus was that he didn't play as well as other grandmasters, but had mastered the art of being a disruptive asshole who played mindgames that pissed everybody else off and threw them off their games.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New Kind of hard to believe.
I mean, it presupposes that he was able to play chess to at least some pretty high level while doing that shit... So was nobody else at that level able to just fucking ignore him and concentrate on their own shit? Hard to believe they were absolutely all such precious snowflakes.

So my guess is: No. Sure, there may have been some element of that, but no way that explains all of it. He must have been really fucking good at the actual game, too.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Does sound a bit sour grapes
--

Drew
New Our chess coach was the one telling us about this...
...while encouraging us to follow in Fischer's example by being assholes to our opponents.
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New I always thought distracting mind games was part of the game
Of course my elder brother taught me to play.
New Not so sure about that
I mean, just reading this seems to suggest that he was, in fact, a pretty fucking great chessist:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Fischer#Contributions_to_chess
New He was really good.
I read his book. It that I play chess nowadays.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Bobby Fisher not just a chess guru - (drook) - (7)
         I've heard tell he wasn't actually all that great at chess. - (InThane) - (6)
             Kind of hard to believe. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                 Does sound a bit sour grapes -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Our chess coach was the one telling us about this... - (InThane)
             I always thought distracting mind games was part of the game - (crazy)
             Not so sure about that - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 He was really good. - (a6l6e6x)

Everyone is terrible and the world is burning.
47 ms