IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Same.
The idea of water coming from some vast bombardment of comets at just the right time sounded really implausible to me too. But the solar system is so old, who knows.

Of course, one doesn't need comets or meteorites or whatever. One can get water from the solar wind.

https://www.space.com/27377-moon-water-origin-solar-wind.html

The researchers expected to find water from chondrites in the interiors of the lunar dust grains and water from both chondrites and the solar wind in the exteriors or rims of these grains. Surprisingly, the water in both the interiors and exteriors of these dust grains apparently originated mainly from the solar wind.

"We do not find any chondritic signature," lead study author Alice Stephant, a cosmochemist at the National Museum of Natural History in Paris, told Space.com.

These findings suggest that any water that cosmic impacts bring to the moon is not retained much. At most, an average of 15 percent of the hydrogen in lunar soil may come from chondritic water, the researchers said.

The universe is very often richer and more interesting than we imagine.

(Of course, the picture may change yet again as more is learned. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New WTF is all this then? Sounded so to me too when I first heard -- i.e. just now.
Thanks for the links, guys, gotta go study. And re-read Andrew's page; if it was there I must have missed it, apparently read it too sloppily. (I blame the Internet, seems I have the attenrtion span of a kitten on crack nowadays.)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New I had that same exact feeling when I was around 8 years old
I was at the Franklin institute enjoying the planetarium show and that included a movie about the origins of the Earth. And part of that was the concept of this enormous deluge over millions of years of water just happening to fall in.

I was totally what the f***.

Hey Drook: check out this bass player.

https://youtu.be/Tvr46uFfbMg
New I've gone down rabbit holes of his stuff before
He's insanely good.
--

Drew
New I love his challenges
He records a small piece and then invites other people to create complementary music. And then gives them free instruments.
New Yup, some of them I wish we full length and with full instrumentation
--

Drew
New I like this theory better
Something that accumulates slowly from a small but consistent process feels more plausible than from occasional impacts.
--

Drew
New The (non-bird) dinosaurs send their regards, wishing you were right.
occasional impacts.
;-)
--

Christian R. Conrad

New Rare events are great at destruction, not as much for creation/accumulation
--

Drew
New True, didn't think of that distinction.
The resulting compensatory rise of the mammals is a) an indirect effect, and b) not exactly "creation/accumulation", so me trying to refer to that would be kind'a cheating. Or at least pointless.

Hmm... Maybe the creation of the Moon, if we accept one of the various "created as a result of the collision of..." hypotheses. But yeah, pretty much a black swan among creation events.
--

Christian R. Conrad

Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - (Andrew Grygus) - (29)
         I want that narrated and animated - (drook) - (11)
             He might be too expensive. - (static) - (10)
                 Tom, yes, but who's Derek? Oh, so that's Veritasium's name. - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     Whistler used to be better. - (static)
                     Whistler's enunciation grinds my gears. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                         Then there's those who get on my tits a little bit, but I like their content anyway - (pwhysall)
                         Ooh! Clint from LGR! - (static)
                         Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                             Re: Holy shit, did I just forget or totally miss that those are different guys? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 So what? I'm equally many subscribers on both: Just one. -NT - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                     It's about confusing a very famous person with a not very famous person - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         Is that even a thing; are celebrities now gods, to not even *be confused for* mere mortals? -NT - (CRConrad)
         Re: Extra Terrestrial Intelligence - (pwhysall) - (2)
             The standard Sci-Fi solution - (drook)
             Yes, that's the point. - (Andrew Grygus)
         Nice article - (crazy) - (11)
             Water bombardment sounded so implausible when I first heard it - (drook) - (10)
                 Same. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     WTF is all this then? Sounded so to me too when I first heard -- i.e. just now. - (CRConrad) - (4)
                         I had that same exact feeling when I was around 8 years old - (crazy) - (3)
                             I've gone down rabbit holes of his stuff before - (drook) - (2)
                                 I love his challenges - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Yup, some of them I wish we full length and with full instrumentation -NT - (drook)
                     I like this theory better - (drook) - (3)
                         The (non-bird) dinosaurs send their regards, wishing you were right. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                             Rare events are great at destruction, not as much for creation/accumulation -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                 True, didn't think of that distinction. - (CRConrad)
         Interesting thoughts! - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Same place where they had that big religious debate in the fourth century, right? - (CRConrad)

This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.
62 ms