IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New website giving me this message for the past 2 weeks
Call to undefined function: mysql_connect(). Please install the MySQL Connector for PHP

sticking that into Google returns lots of links that I need to download a .jar file and install something, but it seems to me that I shouldn't have to do anything on my end since I'm not connecting to anyone's database,and I'm bringing up the site's home page in the latest version of Chrome.

It's obvious that the admin for that site has changed something, so why do I need to install anything on my computer?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New You're not being serious, right? (The "Oh, Pun" forum is over there --> )
On the off chance that you're not kidding: That message is indeed intended for the operator of the site. PHP -- or rather, its creators -- probably assumed that they look at their own pages after updating their software, so they must have felt it's the most obvious and immediately visible place to display shtuff like this. (Often there's also text like "If you see this, please contact the site adminstrator"; maybe down in the fine print?)

As I understand it the problem is that nowadays, with sites / personal home pages being on hosted full-stack services in stead of each administered by its own proprietor on a co-located raw server, the hosting company updates stuff but may not even have any pages of its own to watch that use all the components it offers. And site owners (or "owners"?), on the other hand, may have uploaded their pages ages ago and not even looked at them in years, blithely unaware that stuff has been updated out from under their site.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: You're not being serious, right? (The "Oh, Pun" forum is over there --> )
site owner used to update it every several weeks.

I tried doing a WHOIS to find out who the owner is and how to contact him/her to let them know they have a coding problem. Unfortunately, WHOIS is fucked up too - I enter the URL and it returns a "someone owns this site, but we'll send them your offer to buy it if you want". Which doesn't help me at all.

Guess it's just another site that the owner has given up on.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New It's not your problem to solve.
Not your problem to solve unless it's _your_ website.

It is a missing or broken configuration or library or package for the server's PHP install. It is a completely standard PHP error about a missing library (function) and should not show in a public website. Unfortunately, the default PHP configuration for many years has been to show these errors to the end-user, regardless of whether it's a dev environment or not. This is the reason you get so many results in Google; the vast majority of results will have nothing to do with the underlying problem.

Wade.
New Unfortunately . . .
. . they guy who built the Web site was dismissed as soon as it was done, and won't come back to fix it until he's been paid. Nobody else there has one clue in Hell.
     website giving me this message for the past 2 weeks - (lincoln) - (4)
         You're not being serious, right? (The "Oh, Pun" forum is over there --> ) - (CRConrad) - (1)
             Re: You're not being serious, right? (The "Oh, Pun" forum is over there --> ) - (lincoln)
         It's not your problem to solve. - (static) - (1)
             Unfortunately . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

I thought it was Run Away From the Dots.
81 ms