IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd never heard that about him
But then I barely heard *anything* about him.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook April 10, 2021, 10:49:16 AM EDT
New You do know Nixon died in 1994, well before Twitter? :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Unpossible!!
https://twitter.com/dick_nixon/status/418244279677366272

Richard M. Nixon @dick_nixon

Dec 31, 2013

I've said it before: Jack is dead, Bobby is dead, Teddy is dead, Lyndon is dead, poor damn dumb Reagan is dead. But I'm still here.

dick_nixon is Justin Sherwin.

He loves baseball, politics done right, and hates Marco Rubio with the heat of 1000 suns. He's an interesting read, even though he's more than a few times been wrong about politics. (E.g. he thought Kamala was a terrible choice for VP.)

https://www.vox.com/2015/10/8/9464035/dick-nixon-first-person

The joke was easy — perhaps too easy. But it made me wonder how Nixon would operate today.

At age 13, Richard Nixon’s grandmother encouraged him to leave his "footprints on the sands of time," and I imagined him making a final "big play" for respect. He’d fight for difficult, forward-thinking realism over the ideological purity that dominates our politics. As he did in the Checkers speech, following his defeat in 1962 and his pardon by President Ford, Nixon wouldn’t allow himself to be turned into a byword for criminality and disgrace. In his mind he was a great man, and they never backed down from a fight.

I understood that Nixon couldn't be frozen in the world of the tapes — he belonged "in the arena." And that made him a natural for Twitter.

Words, tics, and mannerisms are easy to imitate. Thinking isn't.

My goal was to get into Nixon's head, let him comment on the political world he created and plot the way forward. I had to bring him back. So I dug into books, transcripts, and interviews, looking for what drew America to him.

Cheers,
Scott.
New oh yeah he was so well known for it they faked a cameo of him in the orginal brit sandford son movie
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Prince Philip checks out - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Some good articles are appearing about him. - (static) - (5)
             I'd never heard that about him - (drook) - (4)
                 Twitter dick_nixon has some tidbits, Obama had some comments. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     You do know Nixon died in 1994, well before Twitter? :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Unpossible!! - (Another Scott)
                 oh yeah he was so well known for it they faked a cameo of him in the orginal brit sandford son movie -NT - (boxley)
         You'd never know, from looking at the UK news media -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
             I thought they were obsessed with the royals? Or is it only the young, pretty ones they care about? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Not only do Americans not get irony, they apparently can't do sarcasm, either. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Somewhat obvious in retrospect, I suppose -NT - (drook)
             And the public doesn't seem bovvered by it either - (malraux) - (3)
                 Re: And the public doesn't seem bovvered by it either - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     When the network already has the eulogy package produced and queued up ... - (drook) - (1)
                         Tony Jay on Balloon-Juice says... - (Another Scott)
         Fucking xenophobic, those Greeks -- or is it just the Guardian's writers? - (CRConrad) - (2)
             Well ... - (drook)
             The tenure was a bit short - (scoenye)

UNAPOTHEGMATIC MAN
76 ms