IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Line matrix is easy
Line of data shows up into buffer. Map those points to pins that you're going to slam. Slam the pins. This is a simple bitmap manipulation. Move to next line. That is the simplest s*** in the world. Nothing impressive about it. I could code that in 20 minutes.

Compare that to having to figure out where those spinning band characters are versus what you are attempting to print and hit the hammers at the exact moment individually while those particular characters are spinning by. That s***'s mind-boggling. I'd have to take into account synchronization with the band. Then I'd have to know when a character was flying by at the micro second level. I'd have to take into account stepper motor timing. Oh, by the way, there were multiple bands. We had to change out the bands if we wanted different character sets.

Also, did you see the tape on the right hand side in that video? That is form layout control. There were series of signals you had to throw to the printer so it would go to a particular position on a form and those forms were controlled by those paper tapes. Paper tapes break easy.
New Me with hardware control is like me watching figure skating
I know what *I* wouldn't be able to do, but not enough to know what's hard for people who know what they're doing.
--

Drew
     Printing... - (Another Scott) - (28)
         Should have been "Oh, Pun!" :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             But it's TRUE!! ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         That's why I've kept my HP Laserjet 4L - (lincoln) - (25)
             Brother printers don't suck - (InThane) - (24)
                 Oki 82 baby - (crazy) - (20)
                     They had one of those in college - (drook) - (19)
                         I had 2 in my office - (crazy) - (18)
                             Someone has to have video of it online - (drook) - (17)
                                 Starting point - (crazy) - (16)
                                     Something close - (drook) - (15)
                                         Seems that way but is not the same device - (crazy) - (14)
                                             The one I remember was definitely run closed - (drook) - (13)
                                                 132 characters. - (crazy) - (12)
                                                     This was definitely not print shop volume - (drook) - (11)
                                                         You were hearing the band spin - (crazy) - (10)
                                                             Hold on, mind blown - (drook) - (9)
                                                                 Yeah that was old technology that still blows me away - (crazy) - (4)
                                                                     Speaking of old mechanical tech... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         The lathe is an ancient tool, dating at least to ancient Egypt and known and used in Assyria - (boxley)
                                                                     What happens when something mechanical gets scaled up. - (static)
                                                                     Band printers were cool - (pwhysall)
                                                                 Shouldn't possibly work as fast? - (crazy) - (3)
                                                                     Yes, but I was picturing the line matrix - (drook) - (2)
                                                                         Line matrix is easy - (crazy) - (1)
                                                                             Me with hardware control is like me watching figure skating - (drook)
                 Agree totally on the Brother printers. - (hnick) - (2)
                     If you'd replaced the rollers... - (InThane) - (1)
                         Undoubtably. - (hnick)

You know the French. The problem with them is that they have no word for entrepreneur.
85 ms