IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It do indeed look like the Real Thing . . .
I keep all those ingredients on hand, but I do warn: the Blachen. Keep that block sealed up in an air tight jar, or your kitchen will reek of stinky self digested shrimp in short order.

And for the Krupuk Udang, any rice noodles will do fine, though lacking the fake shrimp flavor - it's just a garnish. There should be plenty of real shrimp flavor in this thing anyway. Just toss rice noodles in the hot oil and they will explosively puff up into very light and edible styrofoam.

On the other hand, for ethical (and probable health reasons as well), I will not touch Canola Oil under any circumstances. Peanut Oil is pretty good, but Olive Pomace Oil is better.

That the rice is refrigerated overnight (for any fried rice recipe from anywhere) is essential. The refrigeration causes some transformation of the starches in the rice which makes it more suitable for Fried Rice dishes (and reduces glycemic index - though not a whole lot).
New Re: Canola oil
I know about the health reasons, what's with ethical?
--

Drew
New Re: Canola oil - Ethics
Have you noticed that every published recipe and every cookbook calls for Canola Oil by name in all recipes? The reason is simple - the Canola Oil industry pays off the publishers, who are apparently easier to buy than politicians or scientists.

You literally can't get your cookbook published if you don't call for Canola Oil by name. I have seen some that call for Olive Oil (correct) AND Canola Oil (incorrect) to get around this.

Same with Yukon Gold potatoes which are a disaster in many recipes that call for them. I've seen the same work-around in recipes calling for the right potatoes AND Yukon Gold. I won't touch them either - except for research.
     Nasi Goreng (Indonesian fried rice) - (Another Scott) - (4)
         not enough sambal -NT - (boxley)
         It do indeed look like the Real Thing . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Re: Canola oil - (drook) - (1)
                 Re: Canola oil - Ethics - (Andrew Grygus)