IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New got a wild hair to plant tobacco
so last fall ordered 100 seeds. Instructions state to water them in but dont cover the seeds with dirt. So I get a 3ft long 8 inch deep planter and some potting soil.

waited until today as it appears that any further chances of freezing over night is slim down here.

Open up a regular sized seed packet. It contained what appears to be an old style gram size plastic bag. In the bottom crease of the bag are some microscopic specks, supposedly 100 seeds or so. Who new?

Apparently they grow into a flowering plant about 5 ft in height so looking forward to the fall. It is a missisippi golden burley tobacco so may be interesting to try the end product.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New You're taking me back to 1950.
That's when my parents and my siblings came to US as immigrants and became sharecroppers on a tobacco farm in Maryland.

I didn't participate in the planting of the seeds, but I was involved in picking out the small tobacco plants out of a small field where the seeds were densely planted. The small plants (around 6" tall) were re-planted in rows on large fields around 4 feet apart. When the plants begin flowering, you want to "top" them. That's cutting off the bud that has the flowers. You don't want the plant to waste resources on making seeds and grow the leaves instead. Also when sucker leaves develop you need to tear them off for the same reason. You also need to use proper pesticides to make sure those leaves are not damaged. And, you need to get rid of weeds without damaging the tobacco plant roots.

I'm sure you can find proper instructions for growing tobacco.

It's a lot of work! We did it two seasons before moving to NY City.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     got a wild hair to plant tobacco - (boxley) - (1)
         You're taking me back to 1950. - (a6l6e6x)

We're not going to play any mature games, are we?
58 ms