IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They've come for Dr Seuss
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/feb/26/loudoun-county-schools-cancel-dr-seuss-racial-unde/

He was a product of his times. He'd spent the initial part of his career doing ads selling cigarettes and such and doing wartime propaganda. He's done many many incredibly racist advertisements and then he considered his children's book portions of his life as something atoning for that. Guess he didn't cover all his bases.
New Sentient LRPD
"It’s merely anecdotal, but someone who can severely misconstrue the meaning of 'Green Eggs and Ham' has no business being considered smart."
New "Too late, some of us have already taken offense."
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I know nuance is too much to expect, but ...
We have to learn history. If we want children to understand why racism is wrong, we need to show that what racism is. Huck Finn is the canonical example. Yes, it's absolutely full of horribly racist characters, but what the book says is that those characters are wrong.

So what about Dr. Suess. Did he do a lot of wartime propaganda? Sure did. And I wish he hadn't done a lot of the anti-Oriental stuff. Does the fact that this was during the midst of an actual shooting war excuse it? Maybe a little. But for the most part I was never aware of those pieces when I was a child.

What did I see when I was a child? Things like Star Bellied Sneetches, the most explicitly anti-racist story ever written for children that age.

And OK, he didn't write people of color - the few times he actually included human people. How about instead of excluding his work, you include works from authors of color? But not just during Black History Month, or a special section of "Black authors". Include them alongside everyone else on equal footing.

You don't provide a balanced education by only teaching about people who were perfect. You do it by teaching people across a spectrum.
--

Drew
New Washington Times > /dev/null
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Usually the BOx who gets newspapers mixed up, quoting WT and NYP as if legit. Crazy gone crazy too?
Oh well, NYT is slipping towards NYP-level... Soon it'll be only the WaPo that is even somewhat readable.

But still, that doesn't change the fact that the swap-around-named ones, NYP and WT, have always been utter dreck and quoting them is grounds for immediate disqualification.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     They've come for Dr Seuss - (crazy) - (5)
         Sentient LRPD - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             "Too late, some of us have already taken offense." -NT - (malraux)
         I know nuance is too much to expect, but ... - (drook)
         Washington Times > /dev/null -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Usually the BOx who gets newspapers mixed up, quoting WT and NYP as if legit. Crazy gone crazy too? - (CRConrad)

Trust me...
49 ms