IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Apotheosis of the “company store”
What could possibly go wrong?
Planned legislation to establish new business areas in Nevada would allow technology companies to effectively form separate local governments.

Democratic Gov. Steve Sisolak announced a plan to launch so-called Innovation Zones in Nevada to jumpstart the state’s economy by attracting technology firms, Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Wednesday.

The zones would permit companies with large areas of land to form governments carrying the same authority as counties, including the ability to impose taxes, form school districts and courts and provide government services.
Nope, nuh-uh, nugatory, not on your tintype, fuggedaboutit, hell no.

derisively,
New To answer your hypothetical question . . .
. . everything.
New It probably depends on how it's done.
(I haven't read the story.)

I don't think this is necessarily all that unusual. E.g. large universities often have their own security forces and similar "governmental" type aspects. Property management, physical plant operations, grade and high schools, etc. (I'm thinking in particular of the University of Chicago.)

If (honking big if) these "Innovation Zones" have similar features, it might not be that big a deal. The courts thing does sound different, but I assume that just means that they would (somehow) be able to eventually fast-track incorporation into a town-like entitty. Dunno.

But either way, of course, there must be oversight to prevent abuses.

Cheers,
Scott.
     Apotheosis of the “company store” - (rcareaga) - (2)
         To answer your hypothetical question . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         It probably depends on how it's done. - (Another Scott)

The spice must flow.
53 ms