IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And then you have me
Oleg and Doreen were my across the street neighbors. Oleg always had the best booze. Doreen was hot. They were the local Kia dealers. She brought the Sorento home for my previous wife to try. My wife fell in love with that car and any work that the car needed, Doreen would just drive in. She'd give us a loaner and she'd swap out. So obviously my Kia relationship is much different than anyone else in the world. Now I have a new wife and a new car. We'll see how it works out. It's going to be better than this 20-year-old piece of s*** that costs six grand and I'm just throwing money away.

Basically I expect the electronics to be for s***. Don't expect the windows or the door locks to really work for any length of time. Kias do not last as far as electrical is concerned.
New Also I really had no choice in the previous vehicle
My son was like 6'2 and when he was in the backseat of most vehicles he'd smash his head. So when we went car shopping we had to go find a car where he could sit in the back and we could bounce without him smashing his head. We simply could not find a car that he could sit in that we could afford without being the Kia Sorento. It was that or Mercedes that cost double the amount that I couldn't possibly afford.
New I remember you liking the previous Kia.
Funny you should mention electrics. When I bought my 04 VW there were all kinds of stories I found about bad electrical issues in VWs (seemed to be mainly dying ignition coils on the engines), so I was a bit worried. But getting a diesel, I didn't need to worry about coils.

The only electrical gremlins I've had were the driver seat heater burning out (leaving a visible scorch mark in the foam; the back part still working fine) and the sunroof switch apparently being haunted and cracking the roof open at times. :-/ (I figure there's an intermittent bad ground somewhere.) Otherwise it's been great.

Let us know how the Niro goes. I've been thinking my next car should be electric and the Niro has been one I'm watching carefully. I had a Kia Soul rental in FL for a business trip in the Before Times and it seemed fine (but was strangely huge compared to my Jetta wagon and a little hard to get used to).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Good timing to be asking about it
I just got done my first day of driving. Various errands, mostly start and stop four lanes with traffic lights with occasional six lanes real highways hitting 75 miles an hour.

The first thing I did was reset the miles per gallon calculator. When M was driving it she was averaging 32 mpg which is atrocious. But it's realistic to match her driving style.

After about 4 hours of errands I'm averaging 54 mpg. Which actually matches my old man style of driving. I was hypermiling before it was cool. So she has a choice on whether or not she wants to alter driving or cost the money. It's her money, her choice. The visual indicator tells you exactly where the sweet spot is for acceleration and braking. It's an easy glance to know you are doing it perfect.

I still need to do a thorough going over of the controls. There's lots. The actual visual interface is very good. But there are so many things for them to show you in detailed distracting graphical crap that you just need not to do that while driving.

Also, I've yet to set up my phone. It promises all kinds of fancy stuff there.

It takes about 10 minutes before it's warm enough to take off the gloves when I turn it on at 0° weather. The fans push the air hard without being too loud. The general sound system is perfectly adequate. My days of caring how many watts at what distortion really are over. The seats are comfy. They feel a bit light but I don't feel them flexing hard.

The turning radius is very nicely tight. I find myself attempting U turns that I wouldn't try in any other vehicle. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but it's nice to be able to try.

The rear camera and the associated software that draws the lines of where your wheels will turn you versus where you're going to hit is very nicely done. I've seen it done well and done poorly and this is as good as the Cadillacs.
New Sounds good.
Thanks.

I drive my VW like a grandma too. I was able to get 50 MPG over 330 miles of continuous highway driving on one trip. I typically get 42-44 MPG commuting (it's hard to know exactly with the diesel because of the foam on fillups), around 700 miles to a tank. That's probably going to be the biggest culture-shift if/when I go electric. Filling up once a month is hard to give up.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Scott.
New This Kia was 52 miles per gallon in local suburb traffic
I don't know if I tried. This is simply what I got when trying not to cross over certain thresholds that the console told me about. It's when you don't care about competing with the car next to you.

You talk about driving like your grandma. B*******. I talk about not going to jail and get f***** in the ass. It's a different incentive.

Let me add bit to that. I drive to as not to draw attention from police. I have spent many years driving illegally. I have my license now but I have some dumb s*** for quite a while. So I have that general attitude that anything I can do wrong could end me up in jail. I drive like the oldest man you've ever seen.
Expand Edited by crazy Feb. 21, 2021, 11:22:53 AM EST
New Next day of driving gave me 65 mpg
About 30 minutes of highway of which 10 minutes was start and stop heavy traffic. A couple hours of various city start and stop and suburb start and stop. So I assume if I was serious highway distance I could pull in around 70 mpg.

Not Tesla model 3 quality MPGe 134 but damn fine for a gasoline fuel vehicle. Which costs less than half the equivalent Tesla usability. And I like 5-minute fillups as opposed to plug-in and pray. I'm sticking with hybrids for quite a while.
     Carvana supplied Kia Niro 2017 50K miles - (crazy) - (22)
         You're going to spend the first week asking, "WTF is beeping at me? What's wrong?" - (drook) - (8)
             Really? You talking to me? - (crazy) - (7)
                 Oh, base model, no beepy then -NT - (drook)
                 Just happened - (crazy) - (5)
                     That's maddening - (malraux) - (4)
                         I bet the weight sensor switch for the passanger seat was temporarily stuck ON. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                             Turned out to be a faulty connection in the buckle. - (malraux) - (1)
                                 Probably similar on J's Corolla. - (Another Scott)
                         "Alert. Loneliness detected. Alert. Loneliness detected. Alert. Loneliness detected." -NT - (pwhysall)
         Reminds me of my mum's Suzuki Swift. - (static) - (4)
             Interesting. I had a Suzuki as an option a couple years ago. - (crazy) - (3)
                 Swifts are known to be good. - (static)
                 Never drive a Mitsubishi or ride a Yamaha, then. - (CRConrad)
                 wat - (pwhysall)
         I've known three people who have owned Kias personally. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
             And then you have me - (crazy) - (6)
                 Also I really had no choice in the previous vehicle - (crazy)
                 I remember you liking the previous Kia. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Good timing to be asking about it - (crazy) - (3)
                         Sounds good. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             This Kia was 52 miles per gallon in local suburb traffic - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Next day of driving gave me 65 mpg - (crazy)

___oO0Oo___play Zarathustra chords___oO0Oo___
131 ms