IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Something's rotten in the state of Denmark
That is very not normal.

The "registry" thinger on my desktop PC (OK, it's a monster compared to your lapper, but still) is using no disk and 13MB RAM.

And I have an absolute shitload of stuff installed here: Office 365, Adobe CC, half a dozen game launchers (fy, game industry!), VMWare Player, iTunes, NordVPN, Glasswire, etc etc etc etc.

Run up Resource Monitor. Click the "disk" tab. What's at the top of the list?
New Current list
System
perfmon.exe
Memory Compression
svchost (multiple instances)
Registry just jumped to the top while I was watching
settingsynchost.exe
dllhost.exe
chrome.exe (multiple instances)
MoUsoCoreWorker.exe

Registry keeps showing up every minute or so, sometimes goes to the top, then eventually drops off after.

Couple other things show up briefly. That was with 2 tabs open to YouTube in Chrome, nothing playing. I killed chrome and multiple chrome instances showed up, one stayed at the top for over 10 seconds. Took nearly a minute before all the Chrome threads dropped off.
--

Drew
New I seem to remember the sysinternals I/o stats were pretty good
Go download them all and start playing. basically you need to see what's chewing up the IO and then zoom in and figure out why. Everything else is waiting on that. Yeah I know this sounds oh so obvious but if you are not playing with THAT tool set then you are wasting your time.
New Looks like I've got my Wednesday planned
--

Drew
New "Memory Compression"?? "Registry"??
WTF is that?

http://woshub.com/memory-compression-process-high-usage-windows-10/

The compressed memory feature in Windows 10 is designed to improve the performance (responsiveness) of the system due to storing part of the memory pages in RAM in a compressed form. It helps to reduce the number of read / write requests to the memory pages in the slow (compared to RAM) paging file on a hard drive. The required data are extracted from the RAM faster even though additional CPU resources are spent to compress/decompress them.

Might be something to look at.

Similarly, https://www.onmsft.com/news/heres-more-on-that-registry-process-you-may-be-seeing-in-windows-10-build-17063

In recent Insider Preview builds, you may have noticed a new process labelled “Registry” in Task Manager. The purpose of this process is similar to that of the memory compression store process in that it is a minimal process whose address space is used to hold data on behalf of the kernel. However, while the memory compression process is used to hold compressed pages, the registry process is used to hold registry hive data (e.g. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE, HKEY_CURRENT_USER).

It sounds like Win10 thinks your system is too slow, so it's doing a bunch of trickery to try to speed things up. That trickery may in fact be slowing down what you actually want to do.

It also sounds like it really, really wants to have a SSD for the paging/swap file. That may take care of most of these issues you're seeing.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Chrome is a fucking resource-eating animal
Use Edge, if you want a blink-based browser.
New True, but mostly irrelevant
When I said I use this to control the bike trainer, I meant that's *all* I use it for. The only reason I had a browser up on it was to research the issues it was having.
--

Drew
     High disk usage on Win 10, suggestions needed - (drook) - (17)
         firefox is a disk hog, other than that reboots seemed to help me -NT - (boxley)
         It may just need to do its thing once. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Task Manager is fine, and better than it was (visually, at least) - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Yeah, I know... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I haven't installed anything that wasn't in the default image -NT - (drook)
             SSD and external enclosure arrived this afternoon, cloning underway - (drook) - (2)
                 Fingers crossed! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Worked on the first try - (drook)
         Hmm - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Video plays fine from YouTube - (drook) - (7)
                 Something's rotten in the state of Denmark - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Current list - (drook) - (5)
                         I seem to remember the sysinternals I/o stats were pretty good - (crazy) - (1)
                             Looks like I've got my Wednesday planned -NT - (drook)
                         "Memory Compression"?? "Registry"?? - (Another Scott)
                         Chrome is a fucking resource-eating animal - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             True, but mostly irrelevant - (drook)

How depressing. Brain the size of a planet, and they have me opening doors.
110 ms