IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It may just need to do its thing once.
Those things run a lot just after bootup. If you've got a slow CPU, they may need to run a really long time.

(I'm not sure the Task Manager is accurate for some of MS's stuff - it seems like they hide AV and similar activity so that users don't get upset by how much of their system is being eated by perpetual virus checks. I may be wrong though.)

Can you leave it running overnight or over a few days and see if it settles down? They might need to check everything once before being more sensible via incremental checks in the future.

I typically turn off all the fancy Windows visual stuff except for ClearType.

Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Advanced Tab

Performance Settings button...

Custom radio button

Everything unchecked except "smooth the edges of screen fonts"

Ok.

Installing a SATA SSD and using that as the boot disk will help with the slow disk activity too, of course. You should be able to clone your HD to a SATA SSD without Windows activation issues.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Task Manager is fine, and better than it was (visually, at least)
I've compared what it says with SysInternals Process Explorer, and the two concur.

Come on, Scott. "Hiding AV and similar activity"? "Perpetual virus checks"? Let's not be silly :D

The bottom line is that modern operating systems really show up the performance advantage of SSDs, which is fast random access to lots of small files, which is what OSes do a lot of.

Nothing in the "performance" tab you mention will make anything other than absolutely marginal difference. I do turn off Windows' animations, for aesthetic reasons - it's in Ease of Access.

macOS runs like shit if the system volume is on a rotating disk, too.
New Yeah, I know...
It doesn't make much sense, but I've seen similar things to Drook on occasion.

Ungodly slow (with a SATA SSD), Task Manager shows a bunch of things running, but none more than a few percent each. It was that way especially when there have been a mountain of updates to do (e.g. going from Win7 Pro to Win10 E and updating to 1909 or whatever).

Eventually, it settled down, but getting there was painful.

Drook - are you running any other AV besides MS? We have McAfee (Intel) at work and it usually breaks when MS has a "Feature Update". Partially uninstalled AV things can seemingly cause wonky behavior as well (but the machines discussed above didn't have anything but MS AV).

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I haven't installed anything that wasn't in the default image
--

Drew
New SSD and external enclosure arrived this afternoon, cloning underway
At current rate it looks like I won't be swapping it out until after dinner, which means I won't be trying the cycling app until after 9. I hate waiting.
--

Drew
New Fingers crossed!
New Worked on the first try
Boot speed can best be described as "holy shit". I haven't tried the bike app yet as I was waiting for the videos to download.
--

Drew
     High disk usage on Win 10, suggestions needed - (drook) - (17)
         firefox is a disk hog, other than that reboots seemed to help me -NT - (boxley)
         It may just need to do its thing once. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             Task Manager is fine, and better than it was (visually, at least) - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Yeah, I know... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I haven't installed anything that wasn't in the default image -NT - (drook)
             SSD and external enclosure arrived this afternoon, cloning underway - (drook) - (2)
                 Fingers crossed! -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Worked on the first try - (drook)
         Hmm - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Video plays fine from YouTube - (drook) - (7)
                 Something's rotten in the state of Denmark - (pwhysall) - (6)
                     Current list - (drook) - (5)
                         I seem to remember the sysinternals I/o stats were pretty good - (crazy) - (1)
                             Looks like I've got my Wednesday planned -NT - (drook)
                         "Memory Compression"?? "Registry"?? - (Another Scott)
                         Chrome is a fucking resource-eating animal - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             True, but mostly irrelevant - (drook)

When we check it out dem a brain it small. Seven time rise seven time will fall.
145 ms