IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pick a budget, check Swappa.
I got a Galaxy S20+ there a few months ago. It was physically perfect and listed accurately as "Mint". The hardware is great. Best cameras I've had in a smart phone (coming from LG, and Essential and Nexus 4 before that).

But I don't know if I'd get another Samsung phone. It's hyper-aggressive about closing unused apps (even after doing all the things that supposedly turn off that behavior). It has its own phone and contacts apps, way of saving passwords that want to supersede the Google versions that I want to use (and that seem excessively difficult to override and impossible to uninstall). And while Samsung has been excellent about updates, they still don't do them in the background (via A/B partitions) so one gets locked out while they're downloaded and installed and the apps optimized, etc. Another senseless annoyance.

LG makes good phones and haven't had these annoyances (but my last was a V35 on Android 9). LG is very bad about updates - like don't expect any if it's not brand new. And LG is recently rumored to be selling its phone business to some Vietnamese conglomerate (which might be good or bad, but is different).

For non-cutting-edge, Moto (now owned by Lenovo) is apparently decent, but I don't know how good they are about updates.

I've occasionally read about 1+ and similar popular-outside-the-US brands, but haven't seriously considered them. If you're thinking about one of them, check the radio bands carefully and be sure you can activate it on your provider (I'm on Fi and like it a lot, but I rarely hit 1GB of cellular data).

Look carefully at the Pixel 4a with 5G - it's gotten excellent reviews and is ~ $320 or so, if your budget is that high.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm also on Fi, will check the ones you mention, thanks
--

Drew
New I'm happy with my pixel 3xl
So I assume a 4 is better.
New Pixels are good
My philosophy is the less people fuck with the experience, the better. With Samsung, you have Google + Samsung fucking with the experience; straight Google sucks less, plus you get updates faster.

I recently swapped over to iOS for reasons; my experience with it is that the only thing it does better than Android is "polish".
Ceterum autem censeo pars Republican esse delendam.
New Just ordered a Moto G Power
I called a few repair shops and the only one that answered asked what model the phone was and immediately told me $149. I hadn't even told them what was wrong with it yet.

I started doing some research, figuring I'd pick a phone then make sure it's compatible with Fi. Then facepalmed and looked up what they had for sale directly from their site. Found this one, which is the current #1 recommended budget phone from a few places at $249. But currently with a $200 discount from Fi.

So compared to my current phone:
* better camera - higher res main and selfie lens, plus wide and macro lenses
* better battery
* twice the storage
* supports additional MicroSD
* faster processor
* $49 + shipping vs. $149 to fix

The only downsides are: lower resolution display, and it's bigger so the pixel density may be noticeable; and it shoots video at lower resolution. It also doesn't have NFC or DLNA, but I don't use those. Oh, and the Pixel was grandfathered into their lifetime free photo storage.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Jan. 25, 2021, 05:35:27 PM EST
New Looks like a very sensible choice. Good luck with it!
     What's a good Android phone? - (drook) - (6)
         Pick a budget, check Swappa. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             I'm also on Fi, will check the ones you mention, thanks -NT - (drook) - (4)
                 I'm happy with my pixel 3xl - (crazy)
                 Pixels are good - (InThane) - (2)
                     Just ordered a Moto G Power - (drook) - (1)
                         Looks like a very sensible choice. Good luck with it! -NT - (Another Scott)

Carpe per diem.
76 ms