IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've got a lot of older DDR2 stuff, one stick of DDR3
Hynix 2 GB PC3-10600. It looks like Amazon wants ~ $10 for something similar from Crucial.

It's so small, it probably isn't worth the trouble to even install it?

It looks like you could get 8GB (2x4 GB) on eBay for $25.

HTH a little. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New 32 bit Windows can't address over 4G
I'll order the 2G stick. It's not much, but it's double what I've got now, so it'll probably help.
--

Drew
New Ah, that's right. Good plan.
New Hmm ... Upgrade time
According to this I should be able to upgrade to 64 bit Windows 10. I'll have to check that there's decent driver support, but bumping this thing up to 8 GB will make it actually useful again.
--

Drew
New Got 64-bit Windows installed, just ordered the RAM
Amazon had a single 8G stick for only $4 more than the 2x4. Leaves another slot open for potential future upgrade, and it'll be here tomorrow instead of the 29th.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Dec. 23, 2020, 01:36:05 PM EST
New If performance is an issue, always go for dual-channel
If not, don't worry about it :D
New Does that mean it's better to have 2x4 than a single 8?
Also, I remember way back when I did hardware support that we always had balanced RAM, meaning if there were multiple sticks they were all the same. Is that still true and I should pull the 2GB when I install the 8GB, or can I put both of them in?
--

Drew
New Aye-firmative.
In the right slots, too. If there are more than two slots, the two channels are laid out (A and B) thusly:

BABA.

They need to be matched pairs.

Single channel will work, but there's definitely a performance advantage to dual channel.
New Well, I've already ordered the single 8
Would I be better removing the 2 that's there, or just slap 'em both in?
--

Drew
New Re: Well, I've already ordered the single 8
Just whip one out, and replace it with the 8.

10GB RAM!
New It's a single 2, so 5x performance here I come!
--

Drew
New Yup.
The lack of optimum dual-channelness is not as big a deal as the the system being RAM constrained. You'll see a big improvement with the 8GB stick added.

Some of the recent "business" laptops from Dell have only had a single memory socket. Lack of dual-channel is not a huge deal in most cases.

Cheers,
Scott.
New This is anything but "recent"
--

Drew
     Anyone got some old laptop RAM lying around? - (drook) - (18)
         I probably do. - (Another Scott) - (14)
             Yes, SO-DIMM ... I assume the pin count is the same - (drook) - (13)
                 I've got a lot of older DDR2 stuff, one stick of DDR3 - (Another Scott) - (12)
                     32 bit Windows can't address over 4G - (drook) - (2)
                         Ah, that's right. Good plan. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Hmm ... Upgrade time - (drook)
                     Got 64-bit Windows installed, just ordered the RAM - (drook) - (8)
                         If performance is an issue, always go for dual-channel - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             Does that mean it's better to have 2x4 than a single 8? - (drook) - (6)
                                 Aye-firmative. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                     Well, I've already ordered the single 8 - (drook) - (4)
                                         Re: Well, I've already ordered the single 8 - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                             It's a single 2, so 5x performance here I come! -NT - (drook) - (2)
                                                 Yup. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     This is anything but "recent" -NT - (drook)
         I've got a few sticks... - (pwhysall) - (2)
             They seem to still be producing it for laptops - (drook) - (1)
                 DDR3 is still vee cheep. - (pwhysall)

Come sweet slumber, enshroud me in thy purple cloak.
141 ms