IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New PS: anyone recall the InfoWorld issue date? ~~ the time when we coalesced within their cheezy-forum
to savage (She who must not be named, either) Gravelly Gertie and the Great NT --> is the Futchah! scam.

High point? ..when the Boss was pondering throwing CRC under-the-bus for moral turpitude or something.
Lucky Us! for being like-minded surly iconoclasts (...just as The Cheney Shogunate was alreading throwing
All under that very-big bus) ... still there, idling..
New I can take a guess.
Mid to late 90s. I remember being on the forum at a job that I left in 1999 or 2000.

Wade.
New I'm thinking mid-nineties or so when I showed up
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-IBMs-OS-2-project-lose-to-Microsoft-given-that-IBM-had-much-more-resources-than-Microsoft-at-that-time

Wonderful answer to this question was posted in this forum that I found while researching the timeline

Based on that I've been "here" 25 to 27 years.
New I don't know
I've read the Sandy what's-her-name OS/2 story so many times I can't say for sure if I was there to see it when it was happening.
--

Drew
New Oh I was there long before that.
I was subscribed to infoworld and read it weekly long before then. I was on their forums very early. Before that it was usenet groups and bulletin boards.
New ~Ditto here.. re IW subscription
(i made-up my 'IT-resumẻ'- chops, etc.) Was in it because it seemed to me--pre-Sandy or maybe not--that IW did indeed hunt about for the latest,
potentially greatest y.a.n.-Boolean-construct from which to spawn, perhaps-next: a truly State-of-Art Useable small 'computer-thing', maybe á lá HAL-9001 [??]
Still Waiting on that: Voice! via decoded Vulcan mind-meld 'twixt the Machine et moi. Is that too much to ask?

Having punched cards for the CDC-6600 (?) re assembly-language for the accelerator's First-ever magnetic-field controller, our new $20K jewel, PDP-8:
I had passed Test-1 when the local Programmer-in-Chief handed moi that oily yellow bcd-encoded paper tape, with: ~"OK, create a [Octal, yet!] tape
to print out this data on the ASR-tty". My first proof that: computers are indeed utterly-mindless, such that every character demands an agonizingly verbose set
--just. to. print. a fucking--Character (!) But I digress, just like such silly-Code forever does.
New must have subscription back in the day
forums were pricey for me to get to, had to dial long distance from alaska to an 800 number with a modem to get on compuserv
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Hah. I was on the other side
My company had a pay to query database on CompuServe. I uploaded that database monthly to CompuServe. because I was part of the group that had access that meant I had free access to every other database on CompuServe.

Note: I had to ask an administrator to grant me access but no one ever said no.

The medical and lawyer databases were of special interest. when I wanted something from my doctor I would print out a few hundred pages of reports from CompuServe's database specific to that which he would then read over the weekend and of course agree with me.
New Thanks!..it's encyclopedic, authentic and best History I've encountered; just Think:
Had 'we' and everybody .. just partial knowledge of these Billy-machinations (even given early flubs in OS/2 builds),
Windoze would not have been able to retard/kill, throughout:
all these decades of shit-dominance. World-wide!

So near / yet so far.. the advancement which came so close to Happening
(Kinda like some.. any! of The Menace's $$-victims who went to pulverize Him ..and failed to perform?)

{{sob}}
New Yeah, believe mid-90s
when my tether was via local Library connection on dial-up, quite before Pictures happened! with ..w.t.f. was that, 'Mosaic? maybe, where the B&W-text-Only
..vanished forever on one's Color monitor, mine snagged for a song at a local swap-meet: a re-branded 'Power Computing' hi-res $600 weighty monolith
(when that was Real-money) gotten for something under $200--in cash at such places.

(I do so recall firing up the first iMac (early-09 model 20")--on dial-up! w a t c h i n g the bytes creep in, via a cute tiny Apple-modem, lent via neighbor.
Thence after a few days, ugly-Corp. Comcast (but Fast!).

tl;dr then:

Twenty-five Years !!! ... n Centuries in blogosphere parsecs.
New Let's see...
https://www.sbt.net.au/l2w/32bits/1998/Sep/Msgs/l2w00144.html

In the March 31, 1997 issue of InfoWorld, a controlled-circulation weekly which calls itself "The Voice of Client/Server in the Enterprise," editor-in-chief Sandy Reed announced that OS/2 had won its annual "Readers' Choice" poll which was conducted in January and February of this year. Reed reported that OS/2 had garnered an overwhelming majority of votes cast in the Client, Server and Product of the Year categories, eclipsing its nearest competitors by a margin of more than 6-to-1, and its victory in the Product of the Year category was the fourth in succession.

Editor-in-chief Reed expressed surprise at the results of its poll, and alleged -- without offering any corroborating evidence -- that OS/2's victories in this and preceding years were due to "ballot stuffing" by "OS/2 zealots." This allegation has been greeted with some skepticism, however, which has intensified in the days since her announcement as she has steadfastly and explicitly rejected numerous demands that she provide evidence to support her allegations.

[...]

The issue in question.

Dave did an amazing job in trying to fight for OS/2 online, and his summary (in other parts of this thread) are interesting, but he doesn't mention (at least I didn't see it) MS bundling DOS/Windows (the "per processor license agreements"). That probably had the biggest impact on OS/2's outcome. Why pay for OS/2 when Winders was "free"??

And OS/2 2.0 was finicky very early on - I remember spending a few hours trying to install it from about 25 5.25" floppies and the install failing about 2/3 of the way through... They rushed it out the door too early, to try to beat Win 3.1's release. People buying PCs with Winders preinstalled didn't get that joyful experience.

HTH!!

Cheers,
Scott.
New 1997 to ~ early 2000 at the latest.
I read that at work, and I started that job in late '96. Left it in late 2000 (almost 2001), but by then I'd been discussing with you lot for a while.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     an anniversary + 1 - (rcareaga) - (42)
         Excellent. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I've got 10 days on you. -NT - (pwhysall)
         My 20th is coming up on June - (malraux) - (13)
             Still.. You be poster-boy for: "If it ain't broke, then ... " - (Ashton) - (12)
                 PS: anyone recall the InfoWorld issue date? ~~ the time when we coalesced within their cheezy-forum - (Ashton) - (11)
                     I can take a guess. - (static) - (8)
                         I'm thinking mid-nineties or so when I showed up - (crazy) - (6)
                             I don't know - (drook) - (4)
                                 Oh I was there long before that. - (crazy) - (3)
                                     ~Ditto here.. re IW subscription - (Ashton)
                                     must have subscription back in the day - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Hah. I was on the other side - (crazy)
                             Thanks!..it's encyclopedic, authentic and best History I've encountered; just Think: - (Ashton)
                         Yeah, believe mid-90s - (Ashton)
                     Let's see... - (Another Scott)
                     1997 to ~ early 2000 at the latest. - (CRConrad)
         Ah yesss.. the bread crumbs.. - (Ashton)
         I was thinking about this recently. - (hnick) - (13)
             On 'Losing.. ...' - (Ashton) - (12)
                 And, of course . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (11)
                     Oppressors see equality as oppression, and react accordingly. - (InThane) - (9)
                         Heh.. [Love] ..again! ..a 'stab' then - (Ashton)
                         Women are attracted to their predators? - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                             "never listen to what a woman says - watch what she does. There's little resemblance." - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                 I have, all my adult life, respected women . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                     Maybe a certain kind of woman likes a certain kind of man - (drook) - (1)
                                         My taste in women is very broad . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                             Huh, doesn't sound like my wife at all. - (malraux) - (2)
                                 There are always exceptions . . . fortunately! -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     aka.. Vive! la Differènce (as far as a One can er, manage :-) - (Ashton)
                     I recall attempting to intercede in that pedestrian-mindset.. - (Ashton)
         I haven't a clue . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             As I was trying to figure out when I started - (crazy)
         I followed the dialogs back when it was still on InfoWorld. - (a6l6e6x)
         Been thinking about this... - (InThane) - (1)
             I came in via Bob Lewis' column - (drook)
         Here's one. - (CRConrad) - (5)
             On an appropriate page: - (CRConrad) - (4)
                 Endless spinning thing - (crazy) - (2)
                     Works here. Chrome on Winders. -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Works now, temp failure -NT - (crazy)
                 something off - (boxley)

In th' stables, m'lord.
203 ms