IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Speculation
I say “speculation” rather than prediction, but based on the behavior of the feral GOP officeholders (which is to say, most of them) in recent days, I think something like the following scenario is plausible:

Trump leaves office next month, still insisting that he is the rightful president, still denouncing “fraud” and “theft.” Meanwhile, out in Real America, one or more Republican-dominated states, through their governors and/or legislatures, make official statements (even if these be mere “resolutions”) that the Biden/Harris administration is illegitimate and that any policies and regulations it may promulgate are accordingly null and void and without force of law. And if one brazen state takes such a public stance, others will surely follow, and the right wing media will take up the meme

Now, talk is cheap, and I daresay that any serious, consequential attempt by a state to thrust a stick into the federal spokes would generate some meaningful pushback, which even the officeholders must realize, but the mere proclamation will be enough to rile up the mouthbreathers with whom most of these states are abundantly provided. It’s hard to see how stoking the grievances of armed goobers yields anything but, from our standpoint, suboptimal results.

Years ago, in these very precincts, Bill Patient scoffed when I suggested that we could descry the stirrings of a nascent fascist movement. I wonder what he’d say now? What I say is that the thing is quacking pretty fucking loudly at the moment.

cordially,
New Anent your last..
Moi persevered in sending Beep this simple query, Thrice, at least:
~Bill, you say you be a 'Conservative'; Please outline a few of the Things you mean to Conserve?

In each case, Reply: the sound of one hand clapping.
[And yes, I took the silence as a decent assay of the inner-workings of that particular jelloware], generalized :-/
I realize he gave good-Party but, well you know.. The LIbertytarian 'nick is such a malleable side-step,
~a sorta class of malignancy?--I admit my bias.
New Conservatism is authoritarianism
The subset of human activities to which they do not wish to apply overweening state control are constrained to certain classes of economic activity, primarily those engaged in by the wealthy.

Everything else is rules, rules, rules.

Can't say this or that. Must obey the state god. Must not put this in your body. Cannot take that out of your body. Prison sentences are long, prison regimes are punitive. Death is a valid sentence. Police and the armed forces are to be worshipped.
New A theory doesn't have to be true to be useful
If it predicts behavior better than other theories, might as well go with it. "The Republican party is based on racism, misogyny, and redistributing wealth upward."

Oh no, I don't support those ideals!

No, you just favor policies that support those ideals. Works out the same.
--

Drew
New Given the proven ~40% functionally illiterate: That's a Wrap! :-/
Four out of every [statistical-] 10: remain, wallow-in, staying iggerant-for Liff.
Words fail (in the rest of 'us').

It's. All. become. surreal.
Whilst: nobody has an answer for my Test-query: "What is a stronger word than ludicrous?"

Rudderless in beautiful-downtown-Burbank* Kenwood :-}

A memorable quip from yesteryear: Laugh-In--a TV-show I've missed sorely ever since.
Gotta google to see if some wry clips are extant, under 'TV HOOTS of yore'.
New Frank Wilhoit in 2018
He secured a kind of immortality with this observation in a comment thread at the “Crooked Timber” blog:
Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit:

There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.

There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time.
cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga Dec. 14, 2020, 05:52:01 PM EST
New 's what I sed, innit?
But yeah. I just had a tad more detail.
New He had a tad more detail in the comment, Rand just quoted the quotable part
--

Drew
New I keed, I keed.
New Is "Wilhoit's Law" on Wikipedia yet?
Well, I just submitted the draft page. We'll see.
--

Drew
New Not Wiki yet but Google gets a variety of other sites: this pithiest-yet ∑ gots Legs already.
Good Show! drook
New DeLong has a pointer to the full comment.
It's just as good.

https://crookedtimber.org/2018/03/21/liberals-against-progressives/#comment-729288

Wilhoit occasionally comments on DeLong's blog and Balloon-Juice as well. He's a sharp cookie.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Was a professor of political science
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Dec. 14, 2020, 11:55:50 PM EST
New Back from the dead?
Son? Some other relation? No relation?

This one is a "contemporary classical" musician, among other things.

https://www.broadheath.com/

:-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Whoops, didn't notice the dates
I'm guessing a son.
--

Drew
New Moonlighted as a detective in Oxford.
WP:
Wilhoit lived alone, and he was an opera aficionado.
BTW, DrooK: No mention of any family, the sentence quoted above is all it says about his personal life, so I'm guessing composer and aphorist Frank is not a son. (If anything, "lived alone" feels like "confirmed bachelor", i.e. code for "closeted gay".)
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Interview with him at Slate.
(Posting the pointer here, also too, for completeness.)

https://slate.com/business/2022/06/wilhoits-law-conservatives-frank-wilhoit.html

Cheers,
Scott.
New Expect to see this come up ...
States are legalizing pot, even though it's still illegal federally. This is a case where prohibition is clearly wrong, but just in terms of states disagreeing with the feds, it sets a precedent.
--

Drew
New cuomo has been decrying trump/pence for years, consequences? not so much
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     Speculation - (rcareaga) - (18)
         Anent your last.. - (Ashton) - (15)
             Conservatism is authoritarianism - (pwhysall) - (14)
                 A theory doesn't have to be true to be useful - (drook) - (1)
                     Given the proven ~40% functionally illiterate: That's a Wrap! :-/ - (Ashton)
                 Frank Wilhoit in 2018 - (rcareaga) - (11)
                     's what I sed, innit? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         He had a tad more detail in the comment, Rand just quoted the quotable part -NT - (drook) - (1)
                             I keed, I keed. -NT - (pwhysall)
                     Is "Wilhoit's Law" on Wikipedia yet? - (drook) - (1)
                         Not Wiki yet but Google gets a variety of other sites: this pithiest-yet ∑ gots Legs already. - (Ashton)
                     DeLong has a pointer to the full comment. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                         Was a professor of political science - (drook) - (3)
                             Back from the dead? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 Whoops, didn't notice the dates - (drook)
                             Moonlighted as a detective in Oxford. - (CRConrad)
                         Interview with him at Slate. - (Another Scott)
         Expect to see this come up ... - (drook)
         cuomo has been decrying trump/pence for years, consequences? not so much -NT - (boxley)

So ... how hard is it to get into the Paris Hilton?
78 ms