IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Covid: why some people get severely ill - a bit of progress
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54832563

Scientists looked at the DNA of patients in more than 200 intensive care units in UK hospitals.

They scanned each person’s genes, which contain the instructions for every biological process - including how to fight a virus.

Their genomes were then compared with the DNA of healthy people to pinpoint any genetic differences, and a number were found - the first in a gene called TYK2.
Genetic differences were also found in a gene called DPP9, which plays a role in inflammation, and in a gene called OAS, which helps to stop the virus from making copies of itself.
New It's interesting that they identified specific genes that make a differece.
But, given that some people are not affected and others are devastated, it's not surprising that genes make the difference.

Careful genetic testing could identify the people that do not need the vaccine. But, I suspect that would be more expensive than just vaccinating everyone.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Expensive, plus near impossible
Half is not willing to be vaccinated, getting tested will probably go over just as well.
New ..And because Natural Selection® usually is v. slow--we may not look for relief from the awaiting
(salivating?) Doom. Such ones shall as happily trash the planet too, delighting in the WInning!
--over Truthiness, Knowledge and just-plain Goodness. And Tesla-owners. Lemmings would understand.

(Ya don't need a Puntiff to deduce what has gone-Rong under Kapitalismo--equated to 'wealth'),
and Strife beoming the fav form of recreation of the imagination-free.
(My choice re silencing the liitle-[i's] ever running loose in the reptile parts of jelloware--the heebie-jeebies?)
Punt.

Maybe pen a sequel, while watching? Pair o'Dice Lost
If money is still extant, send royalties to the folks with flabby upper-lips :-)
     Covid: why some people get severely ill - a bit of progress - (scoenye) - (3)
         It's interesting that they identified specific genes that make a differece. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Expensive, plus near impossible - (scoenye) - (1)
                 ..And because Natural Selection® usually is v. slow--we may not look for relief from the awaiting - (Ashton)

Did she think she was going to land in the back of a Pier 1 truck carrying papa-san chairs?
60 ms