IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Getting old sucks
Yeah, I know most of you punks are older than me, but the past ten years have not been kind.

I got hearing aids for the first time in 2013. I've always had hearing loss in most of my remembered time - the consequences of a series of ear infections as a kid. The person who adjusted them for me said usually they set them to turn on slowly over a period of two weeks for new users, but most new users are a bit older than me, and my brain would be able to handle it.

I was fine inside the building, but the moment I walked outside I was so overwhelmed by the sharpness of the noise I was hearing I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown for about thirty minutes. Everything had a sharp, metallic sound to it - but I got used to it, and now when I don't wear them, everything sounds dull and muted. It was a beautiful thing, and I loved wearing them.

Then my eyes started to go.

In my youth I could tell you the sex of a gnat at 200 paces. I tested in at 20/10 vision at one point. Everybody else in my family (including extended) needed glasses; I was the odd man out for decades. As a kid, I loved the idea of wearing glasses - it was associated with being brainy and smart, and that's what I wanted to be. I was jealous of the birthright denied by my genetic quirk.

That being said, I knew the reaper would come for my eyes eventually. And over the past ten years, I've been noticing them declining, to the point where I got glasses two years ago.

I fucking hate them. When I first put them on, everything went non-Euclidian until my brain could adapt, which took a few days of screaming headaches. Even once I got over that, wearing them caused headaches of one sort (the weight of the glasses on the bridge of my nose caused issues) or the other. (if I stopped wearing them, I'd get headaches from squinting at stuff) The end result, if I wear them, is something not quite approaching what I had five years ago. Oh, and let's not talk about how they completely fog up whenever I put on a mask these days...

Why not contacts? Well, I have a bit of a phobia of putting things in/near my eye. I've watched people put contacts in and take them out, and there's no fucking way I'll do that myself.

Of course, there's also the various aches and pains that come with aging, the increasing ease of self-injury (I've done a number on the muscles in my right shoulder multiple times over the past year doing things that I wouldn't even think twice about ten years ago) and the general realization that your body is really starting to wear down a bit, and that it only gets worse from here. I can't eat what I want any more; it immediately goes to aiding my horizontal growth. My joints pop and occasionally ache; I may have the very distant beginnings of arthritis. (One finger joint in particular my wife has diagnosed as actually being arthritic)

It's not just the physical, either. My last grandparent died at the age of 100 in November, on my birthday. I was a little sad about it, but contemplative, and it didn't hit me as hard as the death of my maternal grandfather in '07, who was a strong father figure to me in the absence of a good relationship with my biological father. (We have one, it's just not close for a bunch of reasons.)

Becoming a father changed me, too. I had hope for the future; maybe my life had been kind of a mess up to the point I met my wife, but I'd gotten my shit together and was doing OK to the point I thought it was a good idea to bring a child into this world. I hoped (and ironically her name means hope, although I didn't choose it myself) that her presence would help to improve this world only to have my eyes opened wide to just how hopeless this world is by the election of Donald Trump a year after she was born. This little five year old creature, who is so ebullient and full of joy, seems like an alien creature to me. I just want to grab her by the shoulders sometimes and yell, "Why are you smiling all the time? Can't you see how fucking shitty the whole world is?" while others, I just want to keep her from ever having to interact with the rest of it.

I don't feel like I have any special insight, nor does this slowly growing feeling of impending doom give me any notion of checking out early; even if I wanted to, I have obligations in this world now that I cannot voluntarily discharge. Just wanted to share and say, "if you're feeling old, you've got company."
use std::option::sig
New dont trust an early morning fart
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Don't trust farts, period.
And I'm vegetarian now, so I get them all the goddamn time.
use std::option::sig
New With you there.
I got glasses when I was 13. Legally I have to wear them to drive. I've had progressive and multi-focal lenses of one sort or another on and off over the years, mostly with the lower part being neutral. That changed a few years ago; now I have a close prescription and a far prescription. I raised the default font size on my phone. I am using the brightest room in my house for WFH. One of the things I love about the projector in my living room is that I can watch most TV shows without my glasses.

(Ironically my hearing is excellent.)

More recently I have muscular aches that never quite go away. Things are wearing out.

Wade.
New Yeah, they say it beats the alternative.
But they never said who told them.
I hit 70 in a week and a half or so. I just got retired again. Cisco Systems retired me in 2010 and it took me until 2015 to get another full time job. This time may be harder. My sight and hearing are still good, but I have moderate to severe arthritic changes from my pelvic girdle down. It's difficult to walk more than a mile or so. I still get to the gym several days a week. Could be worse; my wife is looking at a total hip replacement when the operating rooms open up again (for non-critical procedures.)

In the long run, 70 isn't that old; just requires a sense of humor.

Have a great one all!
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
Expand Edited by hnick Dec. 11, 2020, 09:40:09 AM EST
New Can I borrow your time machine?
--

Drew
New Re: Can I borrow your time machine?
Tyop .. 2015 :)
original fixed.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
Expand Edited by hnick Dec. 11, 2020, 09:40:35 AM EST
New Also, our new best friend in the browser is Ctrl-Plus.
New 4K monitor, scale factor set to 225% - bliss.
Also I also can't be arsed with contacts. I don't need another thing in my life to be a janitor for.

Also also, I have a fancy-pants prescription for my seeing glasses - occupational varifocals, with 3 zones, but I can't drive in them. It's either no glasses (my distance vision is fine) or my varifocal looking glasses, which have a zero prescription up top (for the road) and a short-range prescription down below (for the dashboard, but I can see well enough without it, in a pinch).

Varifocal contacts are a thing, but they're pretty expensive, and I'm good at losing things like that.
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 14, 2021, 04:43:16 AM EDT
     Getting old sucks - (InThane) - (8)
         dont trust an early morning fart -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Don't trust farts, period. - (InThane)
         With you there. - (static)
         Yeah, they say it beats the alternative. - (hnick) - (2)
             Can I borrow your time machine? -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 Re: Can I borrow your time machine? - (hnick)
         Also, our new best friend in the browser is Ctrl-Plus. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
             4K monitor, scale factor set to 225% - bliss. - (pwhysall)

Wow. I am just. Wow. Un-. Wow. You'd think...Nah. Wow.
74 ms