IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pfft.
There's some pretty decent kid's music these days, ever heard of Caspar Babypants? Local chap who used to be the lead singer for The Presidents of the United States of America, the court jesters of the grunge scene. How many people can take "Pop Goes the Weasel" and turn it into a commentary on what it's like to be a one-hit wonder while still being a kid's song?

Of course, Sturgeon's Law applies to everything - and what fits in one person's 90% might be a favorite of another person. Or as I say, everybody has a right to their own taste in music, even if it's wrong.
use std::option::sig
New I'm pretty sure I hate the idea of "kids' music"
Sure there's stuff that's inappropriate lyrically, so I'd tend to avoid listening to that around them. But anything that's made specifically for kids tends to be horrible.
--

Drew
New Belive me, I was horrified by the idea at first...
and yes, there is a lot of utter garbage in the kid's world. Don't even get me started about Raffi, who apparently is huge in a lot of families. (Not mine, that fucker gets skipped any time his music comes up) And we're not even going to talk about that fucking purple dinosaur.

There are a few songs out there that are surprisingly decent. Casper Babypants doesn't use "inappropriate" language, and yet still somehow ends up sounding like he's still doing a continuation of his old grunge band. (which was halfway to a kids' band already - "Little Dune Buggy", "Some Postman", "Peaches" for example)

Then there's Kira Willey's "Let's Go To Work" which I've actually considered doing a solo jazz routine to - played it for a few other local dancers, and they've all reacted rather positively to it.
``use std::option::sig
New They Might Be Giants
Great stuff IMO.

Raffi is trash.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I imagine The Wiggles might disagree with you.
New And I would disagree right back
Do you still listen to their music as an adult, and not just playing it for your kids? If not, then it's not good music.
--

Drew
New Op. cit 'Mairzy-Dotes' {however misspelled)
(A song before your time; utter nonsense--but it likely launched or ..cauterized? my attention to the wonder-filled World of Puns (if not punsters).
What it did fershure was: alert moi to Pay attention to Words, not become distracted at their oral or written-form, but--as inducement next, ackshully look-it-up along w/ its synonyms.

These prods having been inculcated, then--somehow stumbling onto [Mention #666) The Tyranny of Words /Stuart Chase--pub 1938!--and meant for a young niece (IIRC).
as stoked a life-long attachment (to ..later, Feynman's version: stealing Title of one of his pop-books for all readers not-just-gearheads: The Pleasure of Finding Things Out.

tl;dr: Indeed 'kid's books' vary from utter amateur-tripe on through the virtuosos' tales as create Newest-
imaginations of future consequence, I aver.
New I'm old enough to know about Lamzy Divey
--

Drew
New Ooohh, nostalgia: 'k, hows about? ... 'Praise the lord and Pass the Ammunition' ..next line.
(If we can recall crap like this--from earliest times--and continue the ∑ after: we'd all have a Nobel).
But who would not prefer ..an IgNobel, eh?
     Thane's rules for Christmas Music - (InThane) - (45)
         10. Christmas songs are like pumpkin pie: if we really like them we'd have them year-round -NT - (drook) - (3)
             Eh, I like pumpkin pie. - (InThane) - (2)
                 Then: 'Upper Crust™ Amaretto Pumpkin Pie™ might well tickle your fancy..?' - (Ashton) - (1)
                     At a wild guess based on just the name, it's less the punkin than the Amaretto wot does it. -NT - (CRConrad)
         no date rape songs -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             Context matters. - (InThane) - (2)
                 It's cold out there -NT - (crazy)
                 in todays world she would have suspected a roofie - (boxley)
         Damn! but 8-'Mannheim', recently peeped in fast-passant: - (Ashton)
         Too many overdone Western songs, anyway. - (static) - (3)
             IPop was there first. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 The blond sounded more German -NT - (drook)
                 Heh. - (static)
         It's all garbage - (pwhysall) - (30)
             All? Eh... - (mmoffitt) - (18)
                 If it didn't have an Xmas video, you'd not know it was Xmas music. -NT - (pwhysall) - (7)
                     You don't recognize that as caroling music? -NT - (drook) - (6)
                         Nope, because it's been de-Xmas-ified via the power of cellos. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                             Don't you start mocking jazz, wanker. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 If that's the cure, I'm happier having the disease. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     You are the first person I've heard from in 40 years who doesn't like Bob James and Earl Klugh. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 OT: "Carol of the Bells" - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                     Да, я знаю. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Oh my that was nice, and it led me to this. - (crazy) - (9)
                     And that led to this. - (drook) - (7)
                         Ooh.... very nice! - (static) - (3)
                             The patterns are somewhat common to the style though - (drook) - (2)
                                 Recognising the patterns are key. - (static) - (1)
                                     I've done that. When you find a group on the same wavelength it's magic. -NT - (drook)
                         Even moi can dig it ..from ~6.00 --> on, the real-guitar + piano: rhythm ... linked at the feet! ✓ - (Ashton)
                         Don't skip, watch it all - (crazy) - (1)
                             Yes. That it is. - (static)
                     LRPD in the comments - (lincoln)
             You think 56k baud negotiation signaling is music - (InThane) - (10)
                 You just invented that! - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     Pfft. - (InThane) - (8)
                         I'm pretty sure I hate the idea of "kids' music" - (drook) - (7)
                             Belive me, I was horrified by the idea at first... - (InThane)
                             They Might Be Giants - (malraux)
                             I imagine The Wiggles might disagree with you. -NT - (static) - (4)
                                 And I would disagree right back - (drook) - (3)
                                     Op. cit 'Mairzy-Dotes' {however misspelled) - (Ashton) - (2)
                                         I'm old enough to know about Lamzy Divey -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                             Ooohh, nostalgia: 'k, hows about? ... 'Praise the lord and Pass the Ammunition' ..next line. - (Ashton)
         Snidely Whiplash-LRPD: We come here for the righteous indignation and hilarity that follows. -NT - (Ashton)

I don't mean by that that it gets worse, well I do, but I don't mean it that way. Unless you thought I meant the opposite of what I meant, in which case vice versa (or verce visa if you prefer).
195 ms