The bus accident. Most of you already know parts of the story, if not, I saw somebody get run over by a bus. Truth is, I don't actually remember what I saw of her after the bus ran over her; it's like a picture with the center cut out of it.

What I do remember is that I went and stood between her remains and the front door of the bus (so along the side of the bus) to stand between what was there and the people coming off the bus, thinking to block the view. I was trying to direct people to head away from me towards the corner to wait for the police to show up. Of course, if somebody starts talking to you as you're getting off a bus, you're going to turn your head and look at them. If I'd thought about it, I would have stood directly in front of the door and pointed away from the body. Instead, I now have a memory of all the faces of people as they got off the bus, looked at me, and I could see them each seeing her body.

Knowing I scarred those people, even if it was with good intentions, that sticks with me. I've not witnessed that much death - the death of a cat that I cared about, and the death of my grandfather. Neither of those were anywhere near as traumatic. Still, it's three deaths too many, along with all the others.