IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The entire Year* repeatedly prompts a recollection ..from a P.K. Dick short story.
* OK maybe since McCarthy, HUAC Ronnie--to be truthful.

An hour before his morning program on channel six, ranking news clown Jim Briskin sat in his private office with his production staff, conferring on the report of an unknown possibly hostile flotilla detected at eight hundred astronomical units from the sun. It was big news, of course. But how should it be presented to his several-billion viewers scattered over three planets and seven moons?
Peggy Jones, his secretary, lit a cigarette and said. "Don't alarm them, Jim-Jam. Do it folksy-style...

"Folksy-style," Jim Briskin said glumly. "I grin and say, Hey look comrades - it's happened at last, the thing we all feared, ha ha..."

"Is there any lighter piece of news?" Peggy asked. "By which you could open your program? The sponsor would like that... See what you can do. Mutant cow obtains voting franchise in court case in Alabama... you know."

[From Stand-By, by Philip K. Dick].
Published by Not known in 1963
"Just in case you thought that the trend toward news as entertainment was a recent idea".

Source, cross-refs of such scifi X-refs: Technovelgy

(PKD actually lived in Santa Rosa area; I met one of his Ex- SOs a ways back, a friend-of-friend. Some enthrallingStories from that.
He Knew in '63 all the BS as has dribbled-into the daylight). Imagining PKD as present, hale, hardy and
possessed of Ǣ-class Imagination, being enroute to the WH? is....too painful to imagineer any further.

Did you know that the jelloware has Two hippocampii?
One of mine continues to flag, Adressad Unbekannt, so have to Web that which I Know, but not so much, as the amygdala adds noise. Oh. Well.
New Wait! That thing with the cow was fake news?!
New For half-a-sec I thought, Jeez! a post-mortem PKD reading ..today, er, 'granularly'.
Gravitas, that.
     God damn it, this might be real - (crazy) - (17)
         Did you see the affidavit from the investigator? - (drook) - (4)
             Must have missed it, is it in that post? - (crazy) - (3)
                 Yes, it was in your link -NT - (drook) - (2)
                     Okay got it - (crazy) - (1)
                         True, but it was never going to be trusted anyway - (drook)
         Um, no. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
             The poison that Trump has introduced - (rcareaga) - (5)
                 That is a worry. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Is that a trick question? - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         (Goes without sayin') but: shall either of us see the {Arecibo ..in slo-mo?} - (Ashton)
                 More like rabies than HIV - (InThane) - (1)
                     Perspicuous ✓ -NT - (Ashton)
         And ... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             The entire Year* repeatedly prompts a recollection ..from a P.K. Dick short story. - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Wait! That thing with the cow was fake news?! -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                     For half-a-sec I thought, Jeez! a post-mortem PKD reading ..today, er, 'granularly'. - (Ashton)
         While you were distracted... - (scoenye)