IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Finally figured out how to access local net while on VPN
We use Cisco at work for VPN, and it locks out the local network when active. It's been a minor annoyance, but I could live with it. E.g. disconnect from the VPN to print locally.

But I recently decided to replace my 4x 24" 1080p monitor setup (arranged 2x2 on a VESA pole mount) with a single larger 4k TV for a monitor* (LG 50UN7300PUF for $347) and use Tight VNC to talk to my other PCs, Macs, and Synology boxes via TightVNC/Remote Desktop. Switching out keyboards and mice via a KVM works Ok, but getting rid of the rats nest of cables etc. has been on my list for a while...

There's a checkbox in the Cisco VPN client to enable local access "if configured", and of course it isn't.

What to do?

Well, for those of us who don't live and breathe this stuff, I found this nice article with a couple of excellent comments by "Blair". (Note the followups).

https://blog.lan-tech.ca/2013/02/21/access-local-and-vpn-network-simultaneously/

Basically, one manually hacks the "route" table to explicitly indicate what local machines are visible while on VPN.

I'm looking forward to trying it!

* - The pixel density is slightly lower for the 50" 3840x2160 (88.1 ppi) than the 24" 1920x1080 (91.8 ppi) - I'm assuming and hoping that I won't notice the difference. The vertical pixel count is better (since I couldn't use all of the existing monitors at the same time on the same desktop).

Cheers,
Scott.
New Check with your IT, though (or at least read the policy)
Circumventing your company's implemented VPN policy may have non-technological consequences. I know that in my old place, this would have led to at best a meeting without coffee.

Also, if you haven't got admin rights, you're SOL.
New Thanks.
New Also, thinking further
Don't do this. Don't do it, and then don't do it some more.

Plug the printer in via USB if you need it.

If I were the company infosec guy, and I got so much as a sniff that an end-user was compromising their VPN connection in this way, I'd raise a serious security incident immediately, and be having my boss speak to their boss as a matter of urgency.

You're basically exposing the company network, which has a security stance that they're happy with (for whatever value of "happy" you care to choose) to your network, which is completely unknown to them. This is unacceptable.
New Understood.
I do have an inquiry to my IT guy. We do have a lot of flexibility in some respects, but not in others. We've been told that much harder network lockdowns are coming "soon" (which could be 5 years)...

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Get permission in writing
This is a fireable offense in most places.
New Resolution. And more on the LG 50 TV/monitor.
My local networking folks advise against it and don't want to ask the higher-up networking folks for an exception. Makes sense and I won't push it.

Thanks for the comments here. :-)

I just finished setting up the LG 50 TV/monitor. It seems to work pretty well. There's still some teething issues (deciding how much "scaling" I want Win 10 to do (100% at the moment - it defaulted to 300%!!), adjusting the mouse sensitivity, etc.) but it seems pretty good.

One annoyance is that the 2009-vintage HDMI cable I'm using apparently isn't good enough for 4K at 60Hz - it's running at 29.97 Hz at the moment. :-/ The L390 specs say it (Intel UHD 620) will do 4K at 60 Hz via USB-C but only 30 Hz via HDMI. There's a magical $15 USB-C to HDMI cable at Amazon nthat claims it will do 60 Hz, so I'll give that a go...

Cheers,
Scott.
     Finally figured out how to access local net while on VPN - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Check with your IT, though (or at least read the policy) - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 Also, thinking further - (pwhysall) - (2)
                     Understood. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         Get permission in writing - (crazy)
         Resolution. And more on the LG 50 TV/monitor. - (Another Scott)

It's a bunch of RVs, yurts, tepees, and geodesic domes set up in a field and organized by consensus.
87 ms