IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, even the English . . .
. . have dropped them from the top of the "Most Hated Vegetables" list as they slowly learn to cook. Wonder of wonders, even the Germans, the only people to considered the English to under cook vegetables, are learning.

There are now cooks in England attempting resurrect the glory of English cooking as it was before the reign of Victoria, which is when it all went totally to Hell.

Incidentally, there are conditions where English "over cooked" vegetables are very appropriate, particularly when cooked with roasts, where the vegetables become part or the sauce, rather than served on their own.

I use Brussels Sprouts very often, particularly with pasta for lunch, simply sauced with salt, olive oil, and pepper. I quarter them. and cook them in the pasta water for exactly 4 minutes, then refresh under cold water. They go back into the pasta water for the last minute or two when the pasta is done.

Pasta: the Italians like a rather firm bite in the middle. The Greeks and Turks like pasta cooked evenly all the way through. Americans like just a very light firmness in the center, half way between the two, and I declare this to be the ideal point. It also gives you just a little more time between underdone and overdone than the Italian way.
New All I know of British cooking...
...I learned from Asterisk in Britain. Everything is apparently boiled in mint sauce.
use std::option::sig
New quote from my british mother "you have to boil the goodness out of them"
not what she meant but a true statement. Learned to cook in self defense
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Ye Olde English Cookynge On-line
Other Olde Cookynge too, but a lot of English: Tasting History with Max Miller
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Like Brussels sprouts but hated them as a kid? - (malraux) - (12)
         Dutch Brussels sprouts?! Now there's a casus belli... -NT - (scoenye)
         Loved them then, love them now. - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Yes, even the English . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 All I know of British cooking... - (InThane)
                 quote from my british mother "you have to boil the goodness out of them" - (boxley)
                 Ye Olde English Cookynge On-line - (CRConrad)
         never liked them then - (lincoln) - (5)
             They must be cooked correctly. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                 I prefer frying in bacon fat, with a lid on - (drook) - (3)
                     Roasting preferred here. - (malraux)
                     Well, you inspired me to convice my wife we should try exactly that. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Just cut off then stem, then in half lengthwise -NT - (drook)

I said, "Forget the cods, Gill, this guy's gonna need a sturgeon." Well, the yellowtail was impressed with the way I landed her boyfriend. She came over to me, she said, "Hey, big boy. You're really a game fish. What's your name?" I said, "Marlin."
68 ms