IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Anandtech - Comments and informed speculation on M1 chip.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16226/apple-silicon-m1-a14-deep-dive

Sounds like a screamer. And it's just the first.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks for the link!
I've read 3 other articles about M1 and none of them came close to describing the architecture changes that have put Apple so far ahead. Makes me wish I had not recently upgraded my MacBook-Pro and waited until it also moves on use Apple Silicon.

Apple has made incredible progress. Owning both the hardware and software parts of the system gives them a large advantage over Intel and ARM.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New General view seems to be...
...neat products, but don't buy them. Wait for the second wave.

Also, stay away if you're doing content creation - several key applications (most notably Photoshop) are not yet ported to the new processor.

Poor old Intel, eh? Can't catch a break. Stuck on 14nm, just had their lunch eaten by AMD (who are in full-on HULK SMASH mode right now, with Zen 3 destroying Core across the board at all price points on pretty much all metrics - power consumption, thermal, price/performance, outright performance - and RDNA2 set to give NVidia serious sleepless nights), and now Apple are all "see ya, it's been emotional".
New We're going to buy an M1 Mini for testing
Too many things like Adobe and such to give one of these to either a developer or a creative.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Ar
Very disappointing to see soldered RAM on the Mini, tho.
New Definitely, and no technical reason for it.
There's plenty of room in the Mini now that the logic board is smaller from the new chipset.
Regards,
-scott
New No *technical* reason... a *financial* reason, though...
New Yes, I very carefully chose that word. :-D
Regards,
-scott
New I’m tempted
My existing MacBook Pro is going on twelve, and while it was a marvel of miniaturization back in the day, today it feels as though I should be transporting it in a steamer trunk. It’s been a trouper, but it’s stalled at…“Mavericks,” I think? Browser issues proliferate.

The mortgage being retired (although the semiannual property taxes, formerly absorbed by these payments, will be due in a fortnight for a sum almost exactly equal to the usual monthly outlay), I am tempted to score one of these. Gruber at “Daring Fireball” is very impressed.

cordially,
New v1 is sometimes problematic.
We've got about six 2012 MBPs here that I've upgraded to SSDs and added more RAM. They're still amazing machines if a little heavy. (A couple need the HD cable replaced.)

The M1 is amazing as a chip, but until things are recompiled, etc., much of the software isn't going to benefit much (though Apple claims it's "just as fast").

Kinda relatedly, I've been looking at mobile Ryzen laptops but just about all of them (maybe until very recently) have been hobbled by having only 8 GB of soldered RAM. 16 GB versions supposedly exist, but they're always out of stock or otherwise unavailable from Lenovo... Intel doesn't have the same sway with Apple that they do with Lenovo, obviously, but it's good to see how the M platform evolves, and real-world benchmarks.

If you need to jump, understood. But we're going to wait. Especially until Office is native and Teams runs (reasonably well) on it.

With all of that said, laptops don't evolve as fast as phones and cellular networks, especially Apple laptops. They might not have a laptop "M3" out for 5 years - who knows. Presumably the software will mostly catch up by early 2023 or so.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I certainly don’t *need* to jump
I seldom summon up the ol’ MBP, which can still do everything it ever did, including Adobe CS4, except for modern browsing. I kinda hate to send it to the graveyard. If I could think of anyone who could make use of the old trouper, I’d gladly give it over.

My cheesegrater (a 2010 jobbie jumped up by means of firmware magic to 2012 specs) is also showing its age online, but since it has a feral package of the “Mudbrick” suite of “Fetid Fog” applications inexplicably installed, I am disposed to ride the machine for as long as I can: it has, after all, saved me well over thrice the platform’s purchase price.

cordially,
New Safari?
About "the ol’ MBP, which can still do everything it ever did ... except for modern browsing" and, above, "Browser issues proliferate": Are you just by-default running the default browser? Maybe those aren't browser issues but Safari issues. Perhaps something else would work better.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New Re: Safari?
Yeah, Chrome sometimes answers my needs..

cordially,
     Anandtech - Comments and informed speculation on M1 chip. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         Thanks for the link! - (a6l6e6x)
         General view seems to be... - (pwhysall) - (5)
             We're going to buy an M1 Mini for testing - (malraux) - (4)
                 Ar - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Definitely, and no technical reason for it. - (malraux) - (2)
                         No *technical* reason... a *financial* reason, though... -NT - (static) - (1)
                             Yes, I very carefully chose that word. :-D -NT - (malraux)
         I’m tempted - (rcareaga) - (4)
             v1 is sometimes problematic. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                 I certainly don’t *need* to jump - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Safari? - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Re: Safari? - (rcareaga)

Unless they wink.
159 ms