IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Minor annoyances
After 6 months of working on a couch in the basement with my laptop either on my lap or on the coffee table in front of me, my wife finally insisted I buy a desk and chair. I guess she was tired of seeing me walk up the stairs at the end of the day looking like Quasimodo.

So I bought them, and I'm sitting here with my back to the wall because I hate sitting with my back to the room staring at a wall all day.

The basement I'm in had water problems in the past. They solved it by pulling up the row of tiles against the wall, sloping the floor slightly down toward the wall, and installing a baseboard with a channel on the back so any water coming in through the walls would run along the baseboard to the sump pump in the corner. Haven't had water since then, so it seems to work.

But that means the chair I'm sitting on keeps rolling away from the desk. The slight unevenness of the concrete usually catches the wheels and as long as I'm not moving around it stays there. But if I turn or stretch there's a good chance I roll back and spend the next couple of minutes trying to reacquire a stable spot.

One of those things you don't notice in the first day or so, but once you do it's all you can think about.
--

Drew
New Re: Minor annoyances
I use the spare room, which has modern conveniences like a flat floor, and a window.
New I use the spare room for my daughter
In fact, each of the three spare rooms has a daughter in it.
--

Drew
New Re: I use the spare room for my daughter
"ooh look, a monkey on tik tok at the end of the road!"
>pattering of feet<
>changing of locks<
New I've been trying to give them away for years
It hasn't stuck yet.
--

Drew
New You Brits think of everything.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New We have a similar drain system
Except that ours consists of a drain the runs around the inside wall, covered in cement so the floor is flat. The baseboard drains down into the under-floor pipes and then to the sump.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Was yours a retrofit or original construction?
This was a mostly-unfinished basement, so they didn't bother replacing the tiles.
--

Drew
New Retrofit
But it was already a slab floor. They just jackhammered the trench and refilled it with new concrete.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New drag a kitchen chair down there
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New The reason I got the desk was so I could use a decent chair
--

Drew
New Possible 'fix' ..from us bone-lazy types
Find some waxed-string if possible, or any old kind..
Wind some around one side? both sides of the swivel-rollers' bearing ..string-dia. as seems right.
Option: also around the swivel-bearing too--for more effect.
Increases force to move chair, as just might do the job; experiment?

Hey! it's the kinda thing them Astronauts had to do--on Apollo 13 ;^>
New Been thinking of similar
Currently I'm leaning toward putting a bead of epoxy a couple inches from the wall so the wheels will stop there.
--

Drew
New Heh ..variant?
Small board, perhaps epoxied at ends, middle--a surer-STOP than a mound of $$epoxy
--also for simpler removal later: should Earth (or your slab) tilt a bit off-axis.

(At work I knew a physicist just PhD'd who was famous for having thousands of bizarre 'answers' for problems)
--later went on to Aeroneutronics-Ford IIRC. I visited at his/their new digs in S. CA--and he showed me how he
had landscaped a walkway (of cobble-stones) such that each one's peak was exactly on a plane and the whole
walkway: exactly :-þ

[I'm not that Good, obviously]
New And a landscaper who dropped out of high school would tell him his drainage sucked
--

Drew
     Minor annoyances - (drook) - (14)
         Re: Minor annoyances - (pwhysall) - (4)
             I use the spare room for my daughter - (drook) - (2)
                 Re: I use the spare room for my daughter - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     I've been trying to give them away for years - (drook)
             You Brits think of everything. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         We have a similar drain system - (malraux) - (2)
             Was yours a retrofit or original construction? - (drook) - (1)
                 Retrofit - (malraux)
         drag a kitchen chair down there -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             The reason I got the desk was so I could use a decent chair -NT - (drook)
         Possible 'fix' ..from us bone-lazy types - (Ashton) - (3)
             Been thinking of similar - (drook) - (2)
                 Heh ..variant? - (Ashton) - (1)
                     And a landscaper who dropped out of high school would tell him his drainage sucked -NT - (drook)

She has not, incidentally, allowed this episode to turn her into an anti-cucumber crusader.
81 ms