IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Got heat problems?
New Laptop shut off while watching HBOMax last night
I'm assuming it was a heat issue, but I'd like to be sure. I was watching in bed and suspect the comforter blocked the fan exhaust.
--

Drew
New Watch your television in the living room, like a civilised human being, then.
:p

But yes. Watching streaming video shouldn't impose the kind of load that causes a modern CPU to thermally cut-out. Unless you cook it, like it sounds you did.

As you have discovered, in addition to making you an uncivilised colonial baboon, using a laptop in bed is double trouble - not only is it trivial to block the vents, but also you don't feel the warmth if your duvet is thick.

Try stress-testing it in ideal conditions (on a table, frample), and see if it repeats.
New Oh, this thing is far from modern
I haven't bought a new laptop for myself since work started providing them. I'm not a gamer, so streaming video has been the most taxing thing I'm doing. Now with HD and (I'm guessing) some of the newer codecs being a bit harder on the CPU - onboard video, so no help there - I'm finally getting to the limits of what it can handle.
--

Drew
New Lid off, clean out the remnants of you
New ^^ this ^^
The heat sink fins are more than likely clogged with a mat of dust and debris.

(Try to get a hold of a service manual. Anything less than 10 years old is scary to get into and cleaning the heat sink may involve breaking the thermal bond with the CPU.)
     Is there really no way to check CPU temperature on a Windows box? - (drook) - (8)
         BIOS is your only hope. - (Another Scott)
         Well, there are lots of ways, but they're all third-party - (pwhysall)
         Got heat problems? -NT - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Laptop shut off while watching HBOMax last night - (drook) - (4)
                 Watch your television in the living room, like a civilised human being, then. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Oh, this thing is far from modern - (drook) - (2)
                         Lid off, clean out the remnants of you -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             ^^ this ^^ - (scoenye)

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
53 ms