IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is there really no way to check CPU temperature on a Windows box?
Every site is telling me what 3rd-party tools to install. They don't expose this anywhere in the default system tools?
--

Drew
New BIOS is your only hope.
... if you don't want to install anything.

I would probably first try HWMonitor - https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

though there have been some machines I've tried it on that didn't populate all the fields.

CPUID licenses the source code if you want to do the poking around yourself.

HTH a little.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, there are lots of ways, but they're all third-party
I've never looked before, because I've always had something like MSI Afterburner installed (which shows many things).

Bit of an odd omission, given the plethora of third-party apps that expose the information.

ETA: Afterburner is very GPU-oriented and the configuration UI is complex, as it's the ne plus ultra of overclocking and monitoring tools. It also has the most awful "gamer" UI I've ever seen :D

If you're just looking to monitor temps over time, and you've got an AMD processor, Ryzen Master is a much more approachable proposition.

Also, if you have an AMD processor, consider installing the AMD chipset drivers and selecting the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan; this will much more aggressively reduce clock speeds and voltages at idle. The difference between this and the stock power plan for me is 10°C for desktop workloads. The thermal cutoff for Ryzen chips is 95°C, so having it run at ~35°C in normal use gives a reassuring amount of headroom.

Context: I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8C/16T) with the stock Wraith Prism cooler, on a B350 motherboard alongside an AMD Radeon 5700XT.

Side note: you'd have to be off your tits right now to choose an Intel CPU for a (new) desktop system, given the advent of the new AMD chips, which are both faster AND cheaper.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 10, 2020, 03:42:31 AM EST
New Got heat problems?
New Laptop shut off while watching HBOMax last night
I'm assuming it was a heat issue, but I'd like to be sure. I was watching in bed and suspect the comforter blocked the fan exhaust.
--

Drew
New Watch your television in the living room, like a civilised human being, then.
:p

But yes. Watching streaming video shouldn't impose the kind of load that causes a modern CPU to thermally cut-out. Unless you cook it, like it sounds you did.

As you have discovered, in addition to making you an uncivilised colonial baboon, using a laptop in bed is double trouble - not only is it trivial to block the vents, but also you don't feel the warmth if your duvet is thick.

Try stress-testing it in ideal conditions (on a table, frample), and see if it repeats.
New Oh, this thing is far from modern
I haven't bought a new laptop for myself since work started providing them. I'm not a gamer, so streaming video has been the most taxing thing I'm doing. Now with HD and (I'm guessing) some of the newer codecs being a bit harder on the CPU - onboard video, so no help there - I'm finally getting to the limits of what it can handle.
--

Drew
New Lid off, clean out the remnants of you
New ^^ this ^^
The heat sink fins are more than likely clogged with a mat of dust and debris.

(Try to get a hold of a service manual. Anything less than 10 years old is scary to get into and cleaning the heat sink may involve breaking the thermal bond with the CPU.)
     Is there really no way to check CPU temperature on a Windows box? - (drook) - (8)
         BIOS is your only hope. - (Another Scott)
         Well, there are lots of ways, but they're all third-party - (pwhysall)
         Got heat problems? -NT - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Laptop shut off while watching HBOMax last night - (drook) - (4)
                 Watch your television in the living room, like a civilised human being, then. - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     Oh, this thing is far from modern - (drook) - (2)
                         Lid off, clean out the remnants of you -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             ^^ this ^^ - (scoenye)

Ashes to Ashton, dust to debris.
104 ms