IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Celebrating the mortgage retirement
I spent the sum that would ordinarily have gone this week to the house payment on a 27" iMac for the spousette. I purchased the minimum configuration, because the most she’s going to ask of it will be Zoom conferences, but this model should address the “your browser is no longer supported” issues for a few years.

cordially,
New Envy..
as my late-09 24" heads into a hazy atmosphere --> with its altimeter stuck on [El Capitan--its last ever OS ∆].
With the SSD swap-in it does as much as I need, akin to the Acura Plutocrat (with its high-torque gadget and silent 5-cylinder guts).
Those memory prices--still--have to grate exceedingly on all ept purchasers who aren't Repos.
Lucky spousette! ..that meta-tech screen alone should dazzle.

If the dis-US stays semi-functioning despite the Odds, my local Pro may have in his trade-ins--a 27" of similar specs
(though its non-upgradeability shall suck in advance)--the cost of dealing with oligarchs--perpetually in-heat.
I cannot imagine re-re-adapting to anything less than this lone-but-Greedhead supplier of both hardware AND its OS, ever.
New Assuming the screen and sound are as good as the monitor I had at the previous gig ...
I'm jealous, too. When I had shoulder surgery I took the monitor home and had it on the desk in my bedroom. I could take the magic mouse to bed with me and use it to play Netflix. Even from across the room it was bright and crisp and the sound was better than most TVs I've had.
--

Drew
New Yeah ..sight! is everything, whatever is under the hood.
When my eBay near-new 20" *arrived.. on f'ing-Dial-Up via the local library--I just stared at that Screen:
It's MINE!!--all Mine {think, re Frankenstein} ... It's a l l v e . . . !!!
Then after cable--just stared at the screen again, watching URLs load in negative-time.

* especially after eons with Win-98 ..and then-expensive monitors--cadged cheap at local 'faires', etc--but still lousy resolution and fonts.
New Nice
A significant QoL upgrade I made this year was the purchase of a 27" 4K HDR monitor.

Everything is better with MOAR PICKSULS.

(less convinced about HDR, mind)
New Yes you are
When we got our first HD TV there were definitely times I'd be watching a show and it seemed like it was camcorder footage, not "real" TV. A couple years on, my expectations have adjusted and older shows not shot in HD just look ... old.

I suspect the same will happen when things move to 4K, if that happens before I die.
--

Drew
New Not HD, HDR
New No discernible difference in luminosity?
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New I was referring to the resolution jump
--

Drew
New Ah yes, no going back now
Quite a lot of our tellyviewing is now in 4K. We pretty much only use Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, with a smattering of BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub (the latter of which is shite, irrespective of platform) via the XBox One X, and 4K content abounds.

On the computer? Running my Windows desktop at 225% scaling produces a deliciously crisp display and I'm never going back! You can't make me!
New Re: Yes you are
You did turn off the “motion smoothing” option, yes? I’ve seen it in action on a couple of sets, and it makes films look cheesy in a way I can’t quite describe.

cordially,
New Yes, and yes it's weird
--

Drew
New Over here, it's called the "Eldorado effect"...
...because of the way it makes everything look like a shot-on-video low-budget soap opera.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldorado_%28TV_series%29

It's especially funny if you turn it on for action films, where you can see that 24fps was very definitely targeted in the processing.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 7, 2020, 02:25:39 AM EST
New Finally set up the iMac
Observations: the display is gorgeous. The built-in camera makes the output of this ancient “iSight” jobbie look like Kinescope.

The setup, involving “data migration” from the spousette’s MacBook Air, took an hour, but went seamlessly. At the receiving end the “Microsoft Office” suite was unusable, being all of them “32-bit” apps, but this was anticipated. The applications she cherishes/needs most—Zoom (shudder) and Microsoft Remote Desktop—function as formerly. It remains to be seen—I am faintly optimistic—whether the new (Intel) machine will boot up as a Windows 10 computer from the external HD that enables the Air to do likewise.

I note that while the 27" screen is dimensionally impressive, the box in which it arrives depicts a display about the size of one of the subordinate projection surfaces at your local multiplex.

cordially,
New I was impressed by the compact nature of my 27" iMac's packaging
My Apple Watch, not so much.
New further setup
The machine shipped with “Catalina” and not, as it would have had I waited another month to order, “Big Sur.” The wife is leery about upgrading; my sense is that we should do it sooner rather than later, so as to limit the number of causes of conflict that are bound to accrete subsequently. If we wait four months to upgrade, it’ll all the harder to know where the gremlins might be hiding. Now that it’s had its first “Time Machine” backup, perhaps we’ll attempt that on the morrow.

She was curious to see whether the external SSD (an external Samsung repurposed in a third-party housing) I’d set up for her MacBook Air five years ago—it permits her to boot into the Windows 10 environment, running it entirely off the separate unit—would work on the new machine, but since the power/data connector proved to have been jostled loose from its soldered moorings sometime after the last time the device was in use, this must needs await the arrival on Tuesday of a new enclosure.

Since Big Cheese here has topped out (absent some advanced tinkering with its guts I don’t propose to undertake) at “High Sierra,” I have not been privy to sundry changes made in “Mojave,” “Catalina” and “Big Sur.” Where the fuck did the Documents folder go? In the fucking cloud? Well, I can see the advantage to that, but suppose the spousette doesn’t want her stuff at all available remotely? How do I turn that off? Well, er, it’s complicated (can be done. But it’s needlessly complicated). Most vexing is that the DVD Player app no longer plays the VIDEO_TS* format. WTF Apple? That is such an…Apple thing to do. Actually, as I read the discussion boards, the new version doesn’t even reliably play DVDs. Sheesh.

We await new revelations and surprises.

cordially,

*I have literally hundreds of flicks archived in this format on removable media of various kinds. Fortunately, the freeware app “VLC” can still do the job, but its interface has always been rather spartan. I am obliged to use it on the Cheesester, because the unit lacks an internal optical drive, and Apple’s application refuses to countenance playback on an external jobbie. I esteem the company’s products, but as a long-time customer (thirty-six years and at least a score of machines) I sometimes feel, not alone, as though I’m in an abusive relationship.
Expand Edited by rcareaga Dec. 7, 2020, 01:33:53 AM EST
New Nit: VIDEO_TS is not a format
It is just the name of the directory that houses the video files.

If the flicks are commercial, I think you may be running into the Content Scramble System. VLC is capable of getting around that if the DeCSS library is available, but good corporate citizen Apple, especially now that they are a content provider, likely frowns on that ...
New Re: Nit: VIDEO_TS is not a format
Well, yes, I knew that. The saved files are derived from commercial disks—owned, not rented—that (after stripping the copy protection) in the Before Time I would select and take with me to view as in-flight entertainment. But yeah, Apple is taking users in some strange directions…

cordially,
     Celebrating the mortgage retirement - (rcareaga) - (17)
         Envy.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             Assuming the screen and sound are as good as the monitor I had at the previous gig ... - (drook) - (1)
                 Yeah ..sight! is everything, whatever is under the hood. - (Ashton)
         Nice - (pwhysall) - (8)
             Yes you are - (drook) - (7)
                 Not HD, HDR -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                     No discernible difference in luminosity? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     I was referring to the resolution jump -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         Ah yes, no going back now - (pwhysall)
                 Re: Yes you are - (rcareaga) - (2)
                     Yes, and yes it's weird -NT - (drook)
                     Over here, it's called the "Eldorado effect"... - (pwhysall)
         Finally set up the iMac - (rcareaga) - (4)
             I was impressed by the compact nature of my 27" iMac's packaging - (pwhysall)
             further setup - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Nit: VIDEO_TS is not a format - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Re: Nit: VIDEO_TS is not a format - (rcareaga)

Build a bridge out of 'er!
248 ms