IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hang in there.
Glad you got things going with the generator. Mechanical things are frustrating. Electrical gremlins moreso. We've got a fairly new 60 kW generator at work for our building (replaced a 30 kW) that took about a year to get installed properly. The 30 kW didn't have a neutral line and the new one didn't like that (it would throw an over-voltage error just after startup). Once the wiring was right, it's been fine. It's amazing how long things take sometimes... :-/

The friction material disappeared on my right-front disc brake outer pad on my 2004 VW recently. Only 2 years old (maybe 5,000 miles since we aren't going anywhere). Ordered the parts (new rotors and pads), started replacing them yesterday. Then the bottom caliper slide bolt stripped where it threads into the cast iron knuckle. Pissed me off. I decided to try a quick repair using some epoxy, but had no confidence that it would work. The car hasn't moved. The idea of spending hundreds at the shop to get this fixed was not appealing...

Did some checking around, of course it's a common problem and there's a $15 replacement pin with oversized threads that's available. One came this morning. Yay! Now I just have to wait for it to stop raining. (I also ordered a helicoil kit (9 mm x 1.25) that will be here Monday if this doesn't work.)

Hang in there. We're finally turning the corner starting Wednesday!!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Dn't forget the Loctite™
Odds are, that if your chosen fix is a Fail later: you'd have to drill for oversize anyway, right?

Heh:
Resurrecting an abused Shadow, I found one shaft [in crankcase--for timing gear array]--loose!
Alloy case natch + early '50s Morris-Minor grade 'steel' (they had had a war or something.. just previously).

Made guesstimate of the "new dia." of its hole; had shaft end hard-plated with [prolly Cd?]. Trial and error
to fine-sand that.. just a tad larger than could safely be hammered-in cold.
Vacuum bottle of LN aka liquid Nitrogen from work, cool shaft; heat local area with small torch.
Carefully calibrated hammer blows, seated the kluge snugly.

Worked! (Sometimes ya gets to Use all that special-purpose lore-via-osmosis: to do dirt-simple fixes.
Endorphins!!
     hurrycane zeta - (boxley) - (5)
         I've lost count of how many times your area got hammered by huricanes. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             this has been the only dire t hit since Nathan 2 years ago - (boxley)
         You'd think they could document the break-in period, if the techs knew what to tell you -NT - (drook)
         Hang in there. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Dn't forget the Loctite™ - (Ashton)

Impossible.
35 ms