IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I Hate Windows, Part MMXX - 2b(c)3-iii
My work laptop has been running fine on our home network for ages. It, like most things on the network, has a Static IP address.

This morning, we had a very brief power glitch, and suddenly the work laptop has no internet connection. Ok, reboot the router box. Same.

Ok, reboot laptop.

Same.

Walk the dog, come back, still nothing. Check settings. Turn off IPv6. Reboot, same.

Check Google. Usual things (turn off, uninstall, reinstall, etc.). Hmm...

Try "troubleshooter". What's this? "Turn on DHCP"? WTF? Static IPs have worked for decades. Why do I need to turn on DHCP??!

Search again, including "static IP". What's this? Changing from static to DHCP gets it working??

Try DHCP, works. Hmm. Change back to static IP, works.

Reboot.

Static IP doesn't work again. (sigh)

Apparently an Intel WiFi driver update broke static IPs, at least for my configuration.

I want those 3 hours back...

Cheers,
Scott.
New blame the cable company
they screw stuff up all the time, and when you call in to get help figuring out what they screwed up, the call center worker in India can't deviate from their useless script.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New Static IP allocations are satan's plaything
New Intel is seriously dropping the ball these days
On the work laptop (Win 10), the Intel driver ignores the UEFI setting to not switch Wifi off when another network connection goes live. It does so anyway. (That other connection: the work VPN...)

On Linux, connman hijacks DNS and NTP. Both implementations are broken and there is no way to turn the behavior off. (It pays about as much attention to the config settings as the Windows driver does to the Windows network switch settings.)

That said, it may be worth taking a peek at the resulting configuration under DHCP and static assignments. ROUTE PRINT may shed some quick light, especially given static works after DHCP. Otherwise, there is netsh to get to the gory details.
New Thanks. I'll poke around.
     I Hate Windows, Part MMXX - 2b(c)3-iii - (Another Scott) - (4)
         blame the cable company - (lincoln)
         Static IP allocations are satan's plaything -NT - (pwhysall)
         Intel is seriously dropping the ball these days - (scoenye) - (1)
             Thanks. I'll poke around. -NT - (Another Scott)

cf. Amway - same phenom; effective too.
72 ms