IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I understand that.
Do you understand how deeply troubling it is for me to know that 40% of my countrymen think like that? They're not all going away after the election. (Although, with any luck, a goodly percentage of them will die from Covid-19 and not take too many non-Republicans with them).
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New I've dealt with that 40% my whole life
And so have you. It's the left hand side of the bell curve. You often attributed it to America versus the other cultures you were exposed to. The 40% is in those other cultures as well.

Since I'm a fake white I often get both extremes. People think my last name is German. So then I get the Holocaust jokes but they think I'm part of the in-group for the joke. Then I ream the person telling the joke and then they hate me and I'm definitely on the outside. They'll continue their jokes with the inside and glance at me. They are looking to see how much pain they can inflict.

This has been an ongoing balance in every job or social situation I've ever been in unless the social situation was specific to my religion.

Since I got to choose my coworkers for many years the vast majority of my job interaction was people on the other side of that bell curve. But that's not day to day interaction with the general public. At that certainly not 90% of the random workers you will experience.

I don't think the 40% will ever go away. They are not trainable, they don't care, and they want to inflict pain.

Morons will always be there.
New I understand what you're saying, but I maintain it is worse in the US.
My aviation mechanic and good friend likes to point out that, "No matter how you define intelligence, half the people are below average."

I do want to thank you for something you mentioned in your post. You wrote, "Since I got to choose my coworkers for many years the vast majority of my job interaction was people on the other side of that bell curve." I never thought about my own bubble before reading that, but I, too, have not spent very much of my work life around folks who were on the left side of the curve. Further, even as a child, with my father being an academic and my mother being a nurse, our family interactions with others rarely involved spending any time with anyone "on the left side of the curve."

Yet, I maintain that people in the U.S. are worse than people in other countries. And, at least since Ronnie Reagan, they have outsized representation in our government (Aside: The senators in the majority represent some 15 million *fewer* Americans than do those in the minority). Which is a real tragedy because our government in many ways is the face we present to the rest of the world.

So, what's my evidence that it's better elsewhere other than personal experience?

Here's some.

And Trump's disapproval rating brings down the entire nation's reputation.

Before the Trump era, public opinion of the U.S. remained steadily north of 50 percent in most countries — with the exception of the early 2000s, when President George W. Bush waged an unpopular war in Iraq. In the new survey, the U.S.’s median approval rating among the 13 countries was 34 percent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/15/us/elections/world-opinion-of-the-us-and-trump-is-in-a-tailspin-as-the-pandemic-persists-a-pew-poll-finds.html
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New betcha not too many chinese participated in that poll
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
     The President’s Taxes - (malraux) - (24)
         Velly Interestin, but . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
             I doubt it's going to move the needle any. - (malraux) - (1)
                 No, his supporters don't have the brain power . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             he is an opm economist in practice - (boxley)
         If Biden’s team doesn’t stockpile the ammunition for Tuesday - (rcareaga) - (18)
             his comeback is predictable - (boxley) - (17)
                 Fuck off -NT - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     apparently rand is under the impression that if trump mentions hunter the debate moderators - (boxley)
                 dup - (rcareaga)
                 And just how badly did Trump's relatives do . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     not the point, if Joe brings up the tax issue trump will start shovelling with both hands - (boxley) - (1)
                         That's why "staying on message" doesn't work any more - (drook)
                 Didn't work for rMoney. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Sadly, I've already heard the comeback on the $750. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                         It's even better - (crazy)
                         Right. We've been around this before. - (pwhysall) - (7)
                             +1 - (Another Scott)
                             Back in the latter eighties I marveled - (rcareaga)
                             another dup - (rcareaga)
                             I understand that. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 I've dealt with that 40% my whole life - (crazy) - (2)
                                     I understand what you're saying, but I maintain it is worse in the US. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         betcha not too many chinese participated in that poll -NT - (boxley)
         Best case, he pisses off the civil service lifers - (drook)

I am Xatptipltical, Frog God of Crap!
67 ms