IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New And I can't think of a beter one . . .
. . for a person like me, with no regular schedule, being on-call for emergencies all over the county, and needing to carry significant loads of equipment, building and maintenance materials, and a 6 foot laddar, to and from locations that are not known more than a couple hours in advance. Helps a whole lot with loads of groceries from a half dozen scattered ethnic markets too. Both my business and my clovegarden.com Web site would be impossible without a car.

I'm sure there are a great many others who are not cubical dwelling "salarymen" (to use the Japanese term) with a routine job and a wife at home to spend her day fetching groceries, from the one store she can get to with public transport.
New What is it with Californians and their stupid cars? :0)
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New same here, for me to use public transport
I would have to walk or bicycle 10 miles to the coastal rd to catch a bus then walk, cycle another 10 miles to my destination.
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New We all know that in your "workers paradise" . . .
. . everybody lives in tiny apartments in huge Soviet style rectangular buildings so they can be trucked en-mass to their "jobs for life" at the factory or cubical. Life consists of being trucked to the job, eating a Soviet style lunch at the factory cafeteria, being trucked back to the apartment buildings, eating a Soviet style dinner at the local cafeteria, watching state sponsored TV until falling asleep. Then, at the exact same time as everyone else, the alarm goes off, giving just enough time to have a Soviet style breakfast of weak coffee and greasy pancakes at the local cafeteria, before being trucked back to the "job for life".

Here in California, we find that a perfect illustration of Hell.

PS

Sorry to take so long to respond, but I was called away by a client with a printing problem (POS front end to their system, so printing is veeeery important). Quickly responded due to having a car, while public transport would have taken at least an hour more each way.
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus Sept. 9, 2020, 09:27:58 PM EDT
New The best thing that ever happened to me in California was when my car broke down.
I lived in Long Beach in an apartment across the street from Long Beach City College. My full-time job was in San Pedro. Traffic made that commute about an hour each way. Then, the transmission blew up and I didn't have the money to fix it. So I got bus schedules. I took a Long Beach bus to downtown Long Beach where I made the the free transfer to LA's bus system to complete the journey to work. When I got off of work, I repeated the process backwards. Total trip time was less than 30 minutes longer than "driving" and I was saving about $6.00 per day on gas alone (which back then was real money). In short order I'd saved enough to fix the transmission, but chose not to until just before I left California for good. Why? Because I'd purchased a Sunday Only LA Times subscription which I read cover-to-cover during my commute to work (the paper back then was thick). Without a car, I was able to educate myself during the commute instead of wasting my young life behind the wheel of a car most often sitting almost parked on the freeway.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New A vehicle for you is a tool of work.
     motorcyclist going 178 mph on Ga. 400 - (boxley) - (32)
         Absolute bellend - (pwhysall) - (17)
             For one thing . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 I have been to 4 states. - (pwhysall)
             It's easier to have your views in the UK. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                 Sort of. But mostly no. - (pwhysall) - (13)
                     I don't have firsthand experience, of course. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                         And I can't think of a beter one . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             What is it with Californians and their stupid cars? :0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 same here, for me to use public transport - (boxley)
                                 We all know that in your "workers paradise" . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     The best thing that ever happened to me in California was when my car broke down. - (mmoffitt)
                             A vehicle for you is a tool of work. -NT - (pwhysall)
                         They're outliers, then. - (pwhysall) - (5)
                             Yeah, personal transportation is not going away - (crazy)
                             Nit Re: You get to go where you want, when you want. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                 Nah, that's not it. - (pwhysall)
                                 Real estate and rent is significantly more expensive the closer to a city center you get. - (malraux) - (1)
                                     apartment==kennels don't like them either rather live in a trailer park -NT - (boxley)
         The trouble with Super-bikes + Ordinary-people buying them is, - (Ashton) - (13)
             A former client was a motorcycle shop . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                 Yeah give me a Yamaha 125 - (crazy) - (8)
                     Mine was a Yamaha RD-350 2-stroke - (drook) - (7)
                         Oh no, you misunderstand, I never owned a bike - (crazy) - (6)
                             Robbie sounds like fun - (drook) - (5)
                                 No Rob was never beep bash. - (crazy) - (4)
                                     The tall guy helping serve the cake? - (drook) - (3)
                                         Sent - (crazy) - (2)
                                             Can't say I remember him -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                 S'ok - (crazy)
                 He's dead right /no pun. - (Ashton)
                 My then-inamorata had her younger brother visit thirty years ago - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Love. It. [plus an Ernst Leitz Gotcha! tale] - (Ashton)

That's the kind of brilliant thinking that propelled you onto public access.
82 ms