IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NuScale’s small nuclear reactor is first to get US safety approval
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New May be, but it's just a small version of the classic design.
So, it potentially could have the classic problems.

I'm more impressed with a revolutionary design, e.g. Terrestrial Energy. Molten salt is both coolant and fuel.

But, it's Canadian! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Sept. 2, 2020, 10:53:15 PM EDT
New I like the safety design of the cooling issues, lose power motor quits holding up
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Like (at least one design for) the brakes on an elevator
It's held up by the middle of a leaf spring. If the cable snaps, the leaf spring flattens out pushing the ends against the rails.
--

Drew
New That simple Idea made Otis rich. I had an Idea once; why ain't I rich?
(I thought it would be cool to use quite more of The Sun™); no solar panels, Jeez!
..but at least there were water-or-other heat exchangers: a friend used to schlep items to Pacific Isles
--for the natives' kick-start -- screw petroleum imports.

Next one: save/later sell Water before it's competing with Gold/Aurum (or the Rare Earth elements).
New Excuse me?
You need a cooling pool and a generator. That thing does not exist on its own and the only thing it puts out is steam in a closed loop.
New The rods will fall automatically if power is lost.
And there are other safeguards built around the coolant in the reactor itself.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Decent pr page
https://www.nuscalepower.com/technology/technology-overview

I was doing some reading a few days ago and it showed it at a large scale plant which included it needed to be immersed in a pool of coolant.

Can't find that now.
New I saw that, or one like it
The point was that site selection, design and prep becomes lots easier, then you truck in the pre-built reactors (plural) and set them up in the pool. Some existing generator sites could be converted, reusing the existing distribution infrastructure.
--

Drew
     NuScale’s small nuclear reactor is first to get US safety approval - (boxley) - (8)
         May be, but it's just a small version of the classic design. - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
             I like the safety design of the cooling issues, lose power motor quits holding up -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                 Like (at least one design for) the brakes on an elevator - (drook) - (1)
                     That simple Idea made Otis rich. I had an Idea once; why ain't I rich? - (Ashton)
                 Excuse me? - (crazy) - (3)
                     The rods will fall automatically if power is lost. - (malraux) - (2)
                         Decent pr page - (crazy) - (1)
                             I saw that, or one like it - (drook)

Analyze its orgone levels.
85 ms