The rationale you suggest has legs; I've often thought that (via too-little data except a way-back next-door neighbor's young Cop's 'qualities' noted well).
As you say, it's about some/Cops' perpetual ƒeare, internal dialogue is ~~

"I don't understand Shit about how 'normalpeople' suppress their insecurities seamlessly--as an acquired (Skill?). All I sorta don't-Want-to-Know is: I'm an iggerant-Fuckhead and I got myself all this hazard-pay ... so I can BUY that Boat-or-other-toy. SO, Fuck Them All as gots cuth--I dont Need NO Fuckin' Cuth: I Gots a fuckin' GUN and a stinkin' Bodge [/Bogart]."

Can't generalize that mindset re ∑-Cops; I'd still like to think it's a small minority in that mental-straitjacket--though the many, Many recent purest-Murders: surely force people to drop that 'small' from the sentiment: you can't walk away from giant-STATS now visible even to certain mouth-breathers.

Over tenure, I've chatted-up a few local Cops. None re any real or imagined infraction: once again Lucky moi.. All were decent, intelligent, thus Remarkable living-antidotes to the Psychotic back-shooting tribe. Methinks that--however Undeserving ARE 'Muricans-in-general: we can hope that THESE remain in service, while the Psychotics (some. How. Nationwide!?) get sent back to, Want fries with that? jobs they can handle reliably.

Guess I'm in with them there Dreamers-of-Unicornsss but, w.t.f. Aim --> high!